BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my recently leased M40i an IOU was written into the contract that they must install an OEM BMW hitch on the vehicle, I didn't want to deal with all the problems an aftermarket hitch can do to the electronics that I've dealt with on my 2007 X3. Well I brought it in for this and the service advisor just called to tell me BMW is not installing or has available any OEM hitches on the vehicles through the dealer. The SA wasn't to sure what to do and is forwarding this info to my salesman. My questions will be are hitches still being installed on m40i's through ordering or has something changed recently? Are they just not producing enough to meet the need or hasn't the coding been figured out to add it afterhand? I'm really not sure to do as part of the cost was in my lease, I'm sure I'll be hearing from my salesman soon.

·
Registered
10,704 Posts
The trailer hitch (3AC) is still an option on both the 30i and the M40i.

You'd probably need to get the VIN off of a trailer hitch M40i, and then do a parts look-up to find all the parts, and order them piece by piece. People are doing the same thing with spare tires and the built up truck floor for them. BMW actually compiled a parts list to put a spare on the 7 Series it was so popular. There's also a socket for trailer lights. It sounds like they're trying to weasel out of the IOU for a trailer hitch.

It's also necessary to disable the Comfort Access automatic tailgate (raised by swiping our foot under the bumper). Having the foot-under-bumper thing could cause the tailgate to accidently raise and hit whatever you have bolted into the trailer hitch receiver (cargo platform, bike racks, etc.). 3AC cars with Comfort Access don't have the foot-under-bumper thing.

The moral of this story is to factory order BMW's and get exactly what you want on the fist past. It only took five weeks for our factory ordered X3 to arrived after being ordered. The $150 spare tire (300) is also a no-brainer option when factory ordering an X3. You give up about four inches of cargo area height. But, it could get you out of meeting that "squeal like a pig, boy" guy from Deliverance on an isolated stretch of road, on a dark night, before BMW Roadside Assistance shows up. On the 30i, the spare is free if you order the 19" all-season non-RFT's (25X).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the OEM x3 trailer hitch on order for 2 months and have been told the part is backordered with no firm date for shipment. I’ve tried ordering through numerous sources and they have all told me the same thing.

Not sure where to go from here, as much like the OP, I’m hesitant to install an aftermarket wiring harnesses for fear it could void my warranty or cause electrical glitches. I absolutely need to install a hitch to haul a small trailer, BMW is making this very difficult!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
394 Posts
My dealership confirmed that no OEM hitch is available unless your X3 was ordered with a hitch. They recommended a local shop that does aftermarket work. There is a hitch (EcoHitch) made by a Washington company (TorkLift). Looks like the design has a removable receiver. I called the company and expressed an interest in a kit for my 2018 X3. I was advised that when they get a few inquiries for a particular year/model, they will engineer a new kit. The link follows:

https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer-hitches/rear-mounted-receiver-hitches/ecohitch

If you are interested in a new option for your 2018 - 2019 X3, give them a call at (877) 343-6933

It would be nice to have more options available.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,640 Posts
BMW OEM hitches are carefully engineered to work with the rear crumple zone. In the E70 X5, a lot of the aftermarket hitches adversely impact rear crash-worthiness. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Trailer Hitch - BMW (71-60-6-887-642) for G01.

BMW says not yet available to purchase. The receiver doesn't appear to be removable like the F25 version was.

The parts person from BMW I'm working with will try to get me more info on when it will be available for purchase in USA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was quoted 10 hours and $1200 to install a hitch on a 2018 X3. This, it appears, was just a random number since it does not appear that they will actually do it.

The result is that I had to choose between 2 on the lot with a factory hitch. One white {ick to the nth degree} and mine is graphite grey.

Plus...it goes faster with the hitch.
Paul

·
Vendor
277 Posts
X3 (G01) Stealth Hitch 2018/2019

Stealth Hitches are available and currently supply to some BMW Dealerships. Local dealers send their new X3 and X5's to us to install as they do not have a BMW dealer install option.
Stealth Hitches latch block is stainless steel and completely undetectable until needed. We connect directly to the chassis exactly like the OEM hitch to protect the crumple zones.
Our rack receiver for rack and ball mount for towing are interchangeable and can be inserted and removed in seconds without tools.
Stealth Hitches come with an interval lock to protect against theft.
Please visit our X3 vehicle page on our website https://stealthhitches.com/products/bmw-x3-f25-2018-present
Feel free to call us with any questions at 833 MYHITCH(694-4824)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stealth Hitches are available and currently supply to some BMW Dealerships. Local dealers send their new X3 and X5's to us to install as they do not have a BMW dealer install option.
Stealth Hitches latch block is stainless steel and completely undetectable until needed. We connect directly to the chassis exactly like the OEM hitch to protect the crumple zones.
Our rack receiver for rack and ball mount for towing are interchangeable and can be inserted and removed in seconds without tools.
Stealth Hitches come with an interval lock to protect against theft.
Please visit our X3 vehicle page on our website https://stealthhitches.com/products/bmw-x3-f25-2018-present
Feel free to call us with any questions at 833 MYHITCH(694-4824)
I found out from my dealer the problem installing an aftermarket or any hitch on a BMW model G01 is that they all have the foot wave mechanism utilized to open the hatch with a wave of your foot. The factory installed hitches have this feature disabled in the programming. I'm not quite sure how or when this foot wave opening feature works but obviously BMW is very concerned about adding a hitch to a vehicle with this feature installed. What has been your experience with this feature and hitches.

·
Stuart in Houston
649 Posts
The factory installed hitches have this feature disabled in the programming.
That raises the question, if there is no tow vehicle attached, would there be any safety problem activating the feature again?

·
Registered
10,704 Posts
This is BMW's first factory option trailer hitch. It sure would be nice to have a physical on/off switch for the foot-under-the-bumper thing, maybe even with a key actuated switch so some kid doesn't answer his question "What does this do?"

One of the reasons we got the trailer hitch was to delete the foot-under-the-bumper thing. Our current garage is cramped and I wanted to avoid whacking the tailgate into the garage door when one of our dumbass cats runs into the garage and I go chasing her with the key fob on me.

·
Vendor
277 Posts
Stealth Hitches do not interfere with the foot wave mechanism. The permanent part of the Stealth Hitch is positioned behind the bumper, not under the bumper. There is no permanent steel under the bumper to interfere with the antenna. The only time the signal will deactivate is when a rack receiver or ball mount is inserted. When either of these devices is inserted you would not want the foot wave mechanism to activate and hit your bike rack or trailer. Remove the rack receiver or ball mount and the foot wave mechanism is immediately back to normal. We have installed many X3 G01s and have zero issues with this feature.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I ordered my 2018 X3 M40i long ago, I didn't know that the factory tow hitch would delete the comfort-kick open.

I think the deleted comfort kick goes deeper than just programming.. apparently there's a missing sensor and wiring as well.

The Camera display also has a Tow option -- I don't know if that's standard on X3 *without* the tow option configured. Maybe it is.

With today's information, I would order the X3 *without* tow option, and add the Stealth aftermarket solution.. best of both worlds. Comfort/kick feature, and stealthy tow option.

·
Vendor
616 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dealer Installed Hitch

So my sales guy came through and got a dealer installed hitch. Not sure what brand hitch it is but it looks pretty good. They did notify me that they would have to delete the foot wave trunk release mechanism when installing the hitch and I fine with that since I have never used it in the 6 months I've had the vehicle. Also attached is the invoice in case anyone can use any info from it. I'll try to find out from my salesman what brand hitch was installed and where he got it from.

IMG_7839.JPG

IMG_7841.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts