OTA map updates are supposed to be available for MY16 and forward for models with iDrive 5 or iDrive 6.
- You get OTA updates for only one selected region. You select a region by logging into your BMW ConnectedDrive account and clicking My services > Map update.
- Map updates are only sent when it is determined that there has been a “significant” change for your selected region. In other words, we won’t get every update. They’re also rolled-out over time, so we won’t get updates at the same time.
- Updated maps for your selected region will be automatically sent to your car, however you will be prompted to install the update. If you haven’t been prompted to install a regional update, you haven’t received one.
- BMW does not have a way to force or push an OTA map download.
- The “Road Map NORTH AMERICA EVO” map version that you see listed in iDrive’s “Navigation Software Version” page is the base map version. (see pics below for an example if your latest map update is a regional OTA version)
- Dealers can update the base map (for all regions) during the “free” three year period – but it’s not free! It’s supposed to cost $30 or $40. Some dealers may charge for service time as well. It may be worthwhile doing a full map update every two or three years and shopping around for a dealer that won’t charge for service time.
Call BMW Genius. Sometimes (often?) they know more than the service dept., esp. about software. OTA has been available since 2016, yet I still talk to service centers who don't know about it! In fact, BMW Genius will authorize a FREE manual update from the service center if you are not receiving OTA updates (even though you have the feature). They authorize ONE manual update w/in a 3-year term.SA looked at my car during an oil change and verified there's no OTA update in the build. He said I have to pay if I want update. Don't know if it's a policy change per BMW NA. I had OTA update on my 2016 G12 7 previously. :thumbdwn:
IF your '18 has NAV your maps should update (when one is available & if you have your BMW Connected "Profile" correctly noted as to MAP Region (see previous reply to your post). IF your region maps are not at 2019-1 a BMW Service Center can do that for you and note/investigate the problem for any s/w - h/w issues.SA looked at my car during an oil change and verified there's no OTA update in the build. He said I have to pay if I want update. Don't know if it's a policy change per BMW NA. I had OTA update on my 2016 G12 7 previously. :thumbdwn: