BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my brakes done with aftermarket rotors and brakes, good quality stuff. Now my brakes feel like theres no pressure in them, I have to floor the brake peddle just to get it to stop. Could it be the break booster or what. Where you at yorgi?

· Registered
3,667 Posts
Typically a brake job does not involve opening the lines so you should not have a problem with air in the lines.

Did you bed in the new pads? This is a critical procedure to perform when installing new pads. Here is how you do it. Do not skip this step. Sometimes you need to bed pads twice, but don't over do it.

If your pedal feels stiff when you press hard but there is no braking power then you need to bed the pads. If the pedal feels spongy and soft when you press on it then you probably have air in the lines, take the car back to the shop and have them re-bleed the brakes.

· Registered
81 Posts
I started having this issue today however my brake pads were done about a year ago (don't need to be replaced yet, still plenty of pad left on front and rear). Any idea what can be causing the brake pedal to feel so stiff? I push down on it and it won't go down all the way almost as if something is wedged underneath of it. I pulled up my parking brake to test it, out the car in reverse and it just rolled. Parking brake doesn't seem to be working at all. This seriously came out of nowhere. Scary stuff...

· Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
I started having this issue today however my brake pads were done about a year ago (don't need to be replaced yet, still plenty of pad left on front and rear). Any idea what can be causing the brake pedal to feel so stiff? I push down on it and it won't go down all the way almost as if something is wedged underneath of it. I pulled up my parking brake to test it, out the car in reverse and it just rolled. Parking brake doesn't seem to be working at all. This seriously came out of nowhere. Scary stuff...
It sounds like you might have multiple problems. The parking brake usually does not work well in reverse, on most cars I have seen. Your brake booster might be bad. Have your car checked for the brake recall, from several years ago. I made note on an above thread!

· Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
It sounds like you might have multiple problems. The parking brake usually does not work well in reverse, on most cars I have seen. Your brake booster might be bad. Have your car checked for the brake recall, from several years ago. I made note on an above thread!

· Registered
3,667 Posts
If your pedal is hard and not applying the brakes just before you start the car then like Herb mentioned it is very likely a leak in the brake booster.

If you have brake problems after the car is started then the booster might be completely shot or you might have a master brake cylinder issue. It could also be glazed pads.

The parking brake is a completely separate issue. It is cable operated and uses brake shoes (not pads) in the rear rotors. You might need new parking brake shoes or have the parking brake cable adjusted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.