Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 528i with dual zone heat. There's little to no heat coming from the vents, less on the passenger side.
1. I replaced the water valve as I suspected that might be faulty.
2. Thermostat is five or six months old and worked fine this summer.
3. The aux pump kicks on when it's on REST.
4. All three heater hoses get hot to the touch at the firewall.

Could this be the CCU unit that's bad? The outside temp gauge is accurate.

Thanks,
Gil

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I followed the instructions on this site for bleeding. Then I ended up running the car for an hour and still ice cold on the passengers side and barely warm on the drivers. I have the heat on 90 for both passenger and driver.

Maybe the heater core is filled with air, yet all three hoses going into are hot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did that and it made no difference. I'm wondering if a FLAP motor is stuck. I also flushed the heater core.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Maybe he doesn't know of which dial you speak. The one on the top of the dashboard only controls the temp of the three vents at the top: center, and left/right door vents.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
What's a "CCU?"

Sounds like air in the system.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
What's a "CCU?"

Sounds like air in the system.
That's my first guess.

You say you bled the system following instructions on this site. What instructions? If you followed the wrong instructions or skipped a step that could be your problem. Tell us exactly what procedure you followed and if you followed the procedure exactly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CCU = Climate control unit. I bled the system a couple of times today. It's 21f today in CT, so the car cools down pretty quickly. I would think running it for an hour would force all the air to a place that it could be bled out no?

Gil

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
Maybe he doesn't know of which dial you speak.
As far as i know there's is only one set of dials which rotates from blue to red for heat near the vents.

I can't tell you how many times it's been posted in other "no heat" threads that they didn't realize you need to rotate the dial.

So, in case it wasn't clear. Are all your dials rotated to the 3 red dots?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Have to admit I am a little paranoid when it comes to the procedure, and yes, I know its been discussed countless times.
I dont like the idea of completely filling the system to the top of the expansion tank and then take the car for a drive but then again, I know nothing about cars.
I fill the system but take some coolant out afterwards so that I am at the recommended level, then I let the car heat up, let it cool down and check the coolant level, normally it needs a little refill. I then check the coolant after the next to-three drives just to be sure.
On a recent long trip I had the cluster menu open so I could monitor the coolant temp., it stayed around 91C most of the time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes threw red dots. I love that feature, cold air on the face and sweaty feet. If only I had heat.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just gonna throw this at ya and ask, do you have the vents set on "l" which is open or are they
set on "0" which is closed.

Sometimes owners get them mixed up.

1996-to-2003-BMW-E39-525-528-530.jpg

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
Just gonna throw this at ya and ask, do you have the vents set on "I" which is open or are they set on "O" which is closed. Sometimes owners get them mixed up.
That is a ‘1’ and a ‘0’, a one and a zero for ON and OFF.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts