Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered an X5 45e and it has arrived at the dealer. However, I was told that the car would likely have some sort of BMW rebates when I ordered the car. So here it is in July and it looks like BMW does not offer any rebates. Should we wait to till August and hope BMW come out with some rebates or are we stuck with no specials on this car? Thanks.

·
Porleau
1,491 Posts
I've noticed that all X5 models have limited incentives - especially the '21s

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,498 Posts
You ***8220;ordered***8221; as in made a contract with unfulfilled expectations?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You "ordered" as in made a contract with unfulfilled expectations?
I'm fine with the price we settled on, but was hoping BMW would help out some and come through. However, it looks like any rebates are off msrp rather than whatever the negotiated price is, so probably wouldn't help much anyway.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Jon Shafer posted on January 7th.......

The pandemic has really turned the BMW business on its head, first with the factory shutdowns and now with the ramping up of Model Year 2021 production.

AS a random musing, I am receiving so many requests for the all-new PHEV X5 xDr45e, and the sad reality is that the production volume/allocation thus far is very low. The truth is that the supply:demand coefficient will not lend itself to big discounts that prospect X5 hybrid buyers seem to be expecting or entitled to during a global pandemic. My take on it at least so far is that any discount is a good discount if you can manage to score yourself a bona-fide production number at all. I know that people have been trained to think in terms of percent off MSRP in double digits, and I don't foresee anything like that happening on this particular model in the coming year. I would also rule out "incentives" like Lease Credit on the new PHEV X5. There is simply nothing in the works..

As for most other BMW models, assuming allocation levels are robust, July should be a great time to custom-order a Model Year 2021 BMW! I am crossing my fingers that we are given lots of cars to order so that I can continue to offer Bimmerfest Members outstanding deals.

Where are all of the California/West Coast car buyers?

The Performance Delivery Center is open for our East Coast members. Last week I had a customer take delivery of a X7, and next week I've got an X5 going. I am sad to report that the factory tour portion of the PCD experience is currently unavailable, but my customers are still reporting having wonderful experiences at Spartanburg.

For those of us here on the West Coast, don't forget about the special offer for our Performance Center experience in the desert (Thermal) with every BMW purchase!

:angel:

Pay specific attention to the X5 45e statements in there, that should answer your question. If your dealer is willing to wait until August, that wouldnt hurt if you are locked in now.... who knows, it "could" get better but based on Jon's statement above, doesnt sound like he expects it to. Also, since you are new here, Jon = long time BMW salesperson / sales manager, etc. Hes not a regular user, like most of us are.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,560 Posts
The law of supply and demand. You will need to determine which is more important to you: a car that is in high demand, or a smoking deal. You can't have both. Choose wisely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although I don't think the dealer thought it was going to be in high demand when we ordered it, giving it to us at invoice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ordered an X5 45e and it has arrived at the dealer. However, I was told that the car would likely have some sort of BMW rebates when I ordered the car. So here it is in July and it looks like BMW does not offer any rebates. Should we wait to till August and hope BMW come out with some rebates or are we stuck with no specials on this car? Thanks.
Are you buying or leasing? If buying, you get a $7500 tax rebate.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,228 Posts
I'm fine with the price we settled on, but was hoping BMW would help out some and come through. However, it looks like any rebates are off msrp rather than whatever the negotiated price is, so probably wouldn't help much anyway.
Others will correct me, but I have NEVER heard of a BMW rebate or incentive that is dependent on the sale price.

Ie 'only works off of MSRP'. If the dealer is telling you this, I am suspicious

If they were to do so, it MIGHT run afoul of safe harbor restrictions. BMWNA can offer incentives but BMWNA cannot get involved in sales prices.

Anyone???

·
Happily Driving
6,998 Posts
others will correct me, but i have never heard of a bmw rebate or incentive that is dependent on the sale price.
Anyone???
+1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Others will correct me, but I have NEVER heard of a BMW rebate or incentive that is dependent on the sale price.

Ie 'only works off of MSRP'. If the dealer is telling you this, I am suspicious

If they were to do so, it MIGHT run afoul of safe harbor restrictions. BMWNA can offer incentives but BMWNA cannot get involved in sales prices.

Anyone???
So the dealer agreed to a price, which was basically wholesale, or about 4k off msrp. But then he said that there should be some rebates on top of that, which never materialized obviously. So you are saying this is not the case and they can't do this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
So the dealer agreed to a price, which was basically wholesale, or about 4k off msrp. But then he said that there should be some rebates on top of that, which never materialized obviously. So you are saying this is not the case and they can't do this?

Your sales guy probably assumed that there would be some rebate, but turns out there isn’t. Qualifying for a rebate/incentive has nothing to do with sales price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Are you buying or leasing? If buying, you get a $7500 tax rebate.
Tax credit, not tax rebate. There is a difference. Most people who can afford the car would likely qualify for the tax credit, but there are cases of people who have lots of money and not much income, who wouldnt.

People use the terms interchangeably all the time, but the 7500 is something that you apply for at tax time, that comes off your tax liability.

Hes not saying that at all... he is saying that if there was a rebate, or other actual incentive, that its not "off list price". If there is a 2k incentive, that 2k incentive will exist off whatever price you pay, MSRP or otherwise. Like @ard, I have never heard of actual incentives that have to be applied to MSRP.

The salesperson expected there to be some incentives and maybe there isnt. You might want to check for things like loyalty, though. No idea as I dont keep track of it any longer but I would check to see if there is a loyalty incentive.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,228 Posts
I am saying that if BMW has a rebate, the rebate applies to ALL cars, ALL prices.

BMW cannot have a rebate that will only be valid "if you sell the car at MSRP" or "if you sell the car for at least XYZ".

If BMW were to do this, then they would be reaching past 'being a manufacturer' and would be involved, basically, "in setting retail pricing"

So it may be that there are no rebates. And given other posts, this seems correct. But if the dealer has kinda said "yeah, you are getting a really good deal, all rebates are off MSRP" then they are fibbing.

Finally, there are differnt terms for sales incentives..."rebate" is only one. Dont get too hung up on the term...and or do some research to understand the other categories of incentives.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am saying that if BMW has a rebate, the rebate applies to ALL cars, ALL prices.

BMW cannot have a rebate that will only be valid "if you sell the car at MSRP" or "if you sell the car for at least XYZ".

If BMW were to do this, then they would be reaching past 'being a manufacturer' and would be involved, basically, "in setting retail pricing"

So it may be that there are no rebates. And given other posts, this seems correct. But if the dealer has kinda said "yeah, you are getting a really good deal, all rebates are off MSRP" then they are fibbing.

Finally, there are differnt terms for sales incentives..."rebate" is only one. Dont get too hung up on the term...and or do some research to understand the other categories of incentives.
Thanks. That clears it up. The dealer didn't say that rebates are only off msrp, that's just what the ad on the bmw website said. X off MSRP. So I thought I would ask. Doesn't matter at this point. I bought the car and so far I like it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts