BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,577 Posts
Do you have any warning lights on?

the vehicle speed signal comes from the ABS module which reads the rear left wheel sensor.
If the sensor is bad, the ABS light will be on.

the engine speed signal comes from the DME. The DME calculates the engine speed based on the crankshaft sensor. If the crankshaft sensor is bad, the engine wouldn't start up.

· Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have any warning lights on?

the vehicle speed signal comes from the ABS module which reads the rear left wheel sensor.
If the sensor is bad, the ABS light will be on.

the engine speed signal comes from the DME. The DME calculates the engine speed based on the crankshaft sensor. If the crankshaft sensor is bad, the engine wouldn't start up.
yes i do the ABS lite is on, but the engine startup and moves fine. by the way there was an engine swap from V8 to L6 together with EMU(engine management unit) and wires too i've tries to interconnect them and i've chop some succeeds but its left with this major problem am thinking its the speed sensors. ok i will have them change and let you know how it goes thanx

· Registered
5,577 Posts
For the engine speed you have to identify the missing connection between the instrument cluster and the EMU (EMU = ECU = DME).

The fuel consumption won't be accurate unless you modify the settings in the instrument cluster by coding it. Some DME sends the injection signal on a separate wire to the instrument cluster, some use the CAN bus. The instrument cluster has to know where it should wait for this data and which engine.

There is also some difference between the wiring of the ABS module for some models. After you are done with the others you might still have the ABS light on.

The also LCM module stores the type of the engine. I don't know the reason for it but if you want to be precise you might want to code that too.

· Registered
154 Posts
It might be becuase your cluster has to be re-coded to work with the new engine..something about component VINs..ie..cluster info not matching the car info. The cluster will not work. I'm working on the same issue now with my car..i broke my old cluster and have a new one on the way. Read up here..http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1518172 I also bought some cables and downloaded a whole bunch of programs to see if I can code my new cluster myself. Only cost about $40 USD..but if you have access to a BMW dealer, they can re-program your car for you for a fee of course. Good luck

· Seek to understand,^Value
25,378 Posts
Way too complicated for me, what with the engine swap and all ... but ... for grins, check out this thread which merely points out that cluster issues are 'sometimes' due to low voltage ...

- One user's experience debugging a half-dead instrument cluster (1) which, after testing the fuses (1) battery & alternator (1) thankfully turned into an alternative battery search (1) and a simple battery replacement DIY (1)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.