BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
From your post, I can say that the 3.0 L S-Type has minor chance to cope with the 330i , especially in a twisty road like that.

So, it may have been either the new S Type R or S Typ Sport. Did you notice a rear spoiler lip on the trunk lid ? The S Type R has that spoiler lip, on the Sport version it's optional.

The S Type Sport has a V8 engine with 298 hp, the S Type R has also a V8 engine but with 395 hp (both Euro versions)
Actually, the lighter 3.0L is no slouch through the twisties. 31st330 said that he pulled away only through the corners, so the 240 hp six might have been all this guy had. FWIW, the 3.0L is now available in the US with a 5 speed Getrag manual transmission, though I don't know if any of those have actually reached the US yet. With the new interior and the manual transmission, the desirability of the S-type has shot up about 1000 percent.

The S-type is not a bad car. People dismiss it as being just a Ford, but the chassis tuning of the DEW 98 platform (especially in its Jaguar variants) is world-class (I think its easy, especially for Americans, to overlook the fact that Ford builds some of the best handling mainstream cars in the world, such as the Focus, Mondeo and Puma). It might not have quite the driver involving feel of the E39, but with the big P Zeros that Jaguar offers it can handle with the best of them.

·
3,939 Posts
A lighter S-type would clearly handle better. So what?

Comparing a Mondeo to an E46 is silly. Compare the Mondeo to the Vectra, or the Jetta. I've not driven a new Mondeo (which has received universal adulation in the handling department), but I did own two Contours (which are basically the same thing, chassis-wise, as the old Mondeo) and those were very well composed cars. I had both the 1996 SE and the 1998 SVT, and would characterize the handling of each as excellent, given that they were essentially mainstream FWD econoboxes. There was certainly nothing at the price point that could touch either one; they chewed up Jettas and spit them out.

Rental cars, which generally have very low spec, the puniest engine/tire combo, and the limpest suspension setting in the range, are not a good sample. A base model 325 (non-SP) handles like crap, too, but that doesn't mean that the SP 325 is a bad car.

ALEX325i said:

Hmmm... What about the whole weight thing? Don't you think it's too much weight to throw around in the twisties? (S-Type V6 - 3,816lbs).

Since weight is BAD, and plays a key role, especially in the twisties, I can only think the S-Type in question was a V8. The V6 version has GOT to be a pig @ 3,816lbs.

PS: While I agree Focus and Puma handle very well, the Mondeo does NOT handle as well. Hertz gave me Mondeo's in my last 2 business trips to the UK, and compared to the E46, it kind of sucks.

·
3,939 Posts
ALEX325i said:

So what??? Well, I guess you agree that the S-Type in question HAS to be a V8 then. No way the V6 version would spank a 330 through a canyon weighing in at 3,816lbs...

Silly? I don't think so... After all, you were referring to "world-class" chassis and handling...

325 non-SP handles like crap... Hmmm... Whatever.

"World class" doesn't mean "can outhandle any car in the world regardless of market position or price point." A Jaguar (or Mondeo) does not have to be able to spank a 911 GT2 around the 'Ring to have "world class" handling. You should always compare a car to its competitors, and judge it by that metric.

The Mondeo (and the Contour) was and is one of the best handling mainstream cars in the world, and I will stand by that statement. Judged against cars that cost the same and have the same intent, very few of its competitors can touch it. End of story, in my opinion. Does it outhandle a 330, or a Ferrari F355? No, but who the hell cross-shops those cars?

And a 323/325 without the SP does handle like crap. To quote TD, it drives like a Buick. The inherent balance BMW is so (deservedly) famous for is slathered over with springs and damping that are too soft and tires that are not capable. Body roll is excessive, and the car generally feels uninvolving. It's amazing what the SP does for the E46.

Having driven both extensively, as between the CSVT and the 325i non SP, I'd pick the Contour every time. It's just more fun.

But until you've driven an SVT Contour, you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

·
3,939 Posts
ALEX325i said:

That's right. In YOUR opinion...

I don't know. You brought it up. I never said people cross-shop those cars... Interesting you mentioned the 330 though. How different is a 330 non-SP from a 325 non-SP in terms of handling???

Well, I think you guys are authorities when it comes to determine what's good and what's not. So, I won't even go there.

A. Of course it's my opinion.
B. You compared the Mondeo to the E46, not me.
C. The 330 non-SP is very different from the 325 non-SP. All 330s have the sport suspension standard, even if they don't have the SP.
D. LOL

WRT to AWD Jaguars: The S-type is only available in RWD form. The X-type (which is somewhat smaller) is available in AWD form only (so far), and as a matter of fact is related to the Mondeo. If what you were jousting with was an X-type, your experience makes a lot of sense. X-type 3.0s post performance numbers essentially identical to 330s (although, AGAIN IMHO, they are not as much fun to drive).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.