BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
JST said:

Actually, the lighter 3.0L is no slouch through the twisties.
Hmmm... What about the whole weight thing? Don't you think it's too much weight to throw around in the twisties? (S-Type V6 - 3,816lbs).

Since weight is BAD, and plays a key role, especially in the twisties, I can only think the S-Type in question was a V8. The V6 version has GOT to be a pig @ 3,816lbs.

PS: While I agree Focus and Puma handle very well, the Mondeo does NOT handle as well. Hertz gave me Mondeo's in my last 2 business trips to the UK, and compared to the E46, it kind of sucks.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
JST said:
A lighter S-type would clearly handle better. So what?

So what??? Well, I guess you agree that the S-Type in question HAS to be a V8 then. No way the V6 version would spank a 330 through a canyon weighing in at 3,816lbs...

Comparing a Mondeo to an E46 is silly. Compare the Mondeo to the Vectra, or the Jetta. I've not driven a new Mondeo (which has received universal adulation in the handling department), but I did own two Contours (which are basically the same thing, chassis-wise, as the old Mondeo) and those were very well composed cars. I had both the 1996 SE and the 1998 SVT, and would characterize the handling of each as excellent, given that they were essentially mainstream FWD econoboxes. There was certainly nothing at the price point that could touch either one; they chewed up Jettas and spit them out.
Silly? I don't think so... After all, you were referring to "world-class" chassis and handling...

Rental cars, which generally have very low spec, the puniest engine/tire combo, and the limpest suspension setting in the range, are not a good sample. A base model 325 (non-SP) handles like crap, too, but that doesn't mean that the SP 325 is a bad car.
325 non-SP handles like crap... Hmmm... Whatever.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
JST said:
...End of story, in my opinion....
That's right. In YOUR opinion...

Does it outhandle a 330, or a Ferrari F355? No, but who the hell cross-shops those cars?
I don't know. You brought it up. I never said people cross-shop those cars... Interesting you mentioned the 330 though. How different is a 330 non-SP from a 325 non-SP in terms of handling???

...To quote TD, it drives like a Buick.
Well, I think you guys are authorities when it comes to determine what's good and what's not. So, I won't even go there.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
JST said:

C. The 330 non-SP is very different from the 325 non-SP. All 330s have the sport suspension standard, even if they don't have the SP.
Not the X model... But yeah, I forgot 330i's also come with Sport suspension calibration standard... Have been working 16+ hours/day for the last two weeks...

Shame on me nonetheless... That's something a BMW enthusiast is NOT allowed to forget...

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
31st330i said:
I consider myself at least an above average driver. I'm sure this person was a better driver but to get the kind of lead on me that he did, makes me to believe that he also had a major hardware advantage. now that I think about it and assuming that the car is indeed available in an all wheel drive version, that may indeed have been what I was up against. he was able to slice through corners with minimal braking.
Hey 31st,

Don't worry bro... The guy definitely had hardware advantage. I'm pretty sure you "raced" a 4.0 V8 powered S-Type... The V6 would never had "walked" away like that...

Yup, that guy must be a pretty good driver to keep control of a 4,000lbs car in the twisties...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.