BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't believe this. I just got spanked pretty good by a jaguar S type through my favorite canyon road. this is a road with lots of tight twisty turns that I know I can go really fast through. at first I wasn't going too fast because just 5 minutes before I was fiddling with the radio and curbed TWO rims. needless to say I was bummed already. plus I was low on gas so I wasn't going through the canyon at what I consider my 100%. so anyway, I see this jag catch up to me and I didn't think much of it at first. I started pushing it a little more to increase the distance between us but he would catch up. then suddenly he disappeard so I drove slowly thinking that he might have driven over the edge. I even slowed down to a crawl and nothing. so I went on my way at about 60% and he catches me AGAIN. so this happens another two or three times (he was obviously stopping, waiting then going again). I'd have let him pass but he would never stay behind long enough. I had slowed a few times to try and see where he was but he dropped WAY back there and I cold see nothing even on some of the streatchs where I had decent visibility. after the second time he caught me, I picked up my pace to about 90% but I couldn't get a lead on him. anyway, I finally signaled to him to get him to pass me. I tried to keep up but couldn't. these are tight roads and trying to go too fast only slows you down. I was accelerating hard out of the corners and late braking as much as I could but it was no use. anyway, after he got a decent lead on me, I gave up and dropped back down to about my 70% pace. the guy pulled away from me as if I was driving an old caprice classic with bald tires. while this is my favorite road and I do drive it frequently, I always drive southbound. I don't care for the north bound run as it's more dangerous because it's the outside lane and has more blind corners. this guy was either a really good driver or I've been underestimating jaguars all my life or both. I know I'm not the best driver in the world but this certainly made me feel like one of the worst! DAMN!!!!!

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
horsepower won't help you on this road. in fact, I'd be more at ease if I was spanked by a front wheel drive stock honda.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the only parts where I pulled ahead was coming out of the corners so I don't think horspower helped him at all.

I will say this, though. when he got in front of me, I could see that he wasn't applying the brakes much but I was. I thin khis driving technique had a lot to do with it as well because I know that I can drive through that road fast and catch up with many speeding cars myself.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, mabye. like I said, lots of tight twisty turns and where we were dueling it out was through the tightest twistiest part. I think the bigger the car, the harder it would be to get though, no matter if it was an R or an M5.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when I used to race 600cc class on a Honda Hurricane 600 (1987 and 1988 racing seasons) at sears point, there were plenty of people riding 250 ninjas that could spank the larger faster bikes because sears point isn't a horsepower track. it takes much more effort to get a larger bike through the turns. and I think the same can be said about cars. this is why I'm still stunned by this. :yikes:

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no doubt. I hardly drive that road northbound and it seems like a different road from southbound.

I don't know jags very well so I don't even know which model it was and have no idea as to what kind of suspension it had.

he definitly didn't seem to have a HP advantage because the only places I pulled ahead of him was coming out of turns.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
a co-worker suggested that it could have been an all wheel drive variant. I didn't even know jaguar made an all wheel drive car but am inclined to believe that. anyway, I'd believe it because even my stock subaru forester can get through that canyon pretty quickly.

it's a very tight twisty road that requires much concentration and cars dissapear around corners pretty quickly. I didn't catch any performance cues like a lip spoiler. all I know for sure is that it was a jag because of the grille and headlights.

I consider myself at least an above average driver. I'm sure this person was a better driver but to get the kind of lead on me that he did, makes me to believe that he also had a major hardware advantage. now that I think about it and assuming that the car is indeed available in an all wheel drive version, that may indeed have been what I was up against. he was able to slice through corners with minimal braking.

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
well my car has a dinan stage-II but I'm running aging contisports which I break loose all the time. the DSC kicks in a lot if I forget to disable it. like I said , the road requires lots of concentration so if I forget to disable it, it's usually on through the whole run or at least until I can get to a decent straight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.