BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first post here, just after some info at the moment, I'm looking at getting into an x5,about an 05-06 model,diesel, probably with about 150-200 kms,in the near future, ive been doing plenty of research about them,(on these forums). It seems they have door handle mechanisim, ignition switch, maf sensor problems,and sunroof, is there anything else commonly goes haywire? I'm not worried about these things as I can fix myself. But just wanting to know if any other surprises might pop up.I havnt owned an auto for many many years, do they give any trouble at all?I'd probably drop the pan and change oil anyway for piece of mind,obviously id be after service history of the vehical purchased aswell. OK that's all for now, cheers Ross

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi guys, first post here, just after some info at the moment, I'm looking at getting into an x5,about an 05-06 model,diesel, probably with about 150-200 kms,in the near future, ive been doing plenty of research about them,(on these forums). It seems they have door handle mechanisim, ignition switch, maf sensor problems,and sunroof, is there anything else commonly goes haywire? I'm not worried about these things as I can fix myself. But just wanting to know if any other surprises might pop up.I havnt owned an auto for many many years, do they give any trouble at all?I'd probably drop the pan and change oil anyway for piece of mind,obviously id be after service history of the vehical purchased aswell. OK that's all for now, cheers Ross
You aren't going to want to drop the pan. That involves pulling the front half shafts and differential as the front shafts go through the oil pan.

·
2004 E53 diesel
62 Posts
I've had my 04 diesel for a year now and done 50,000 kms (now on 210,000). Only maintenance so far has been a front wheel bearing (apart from regular oil changes of course). I have heard that the harmonic balancers can go on the diesel so keep an eye on that. The diesel is a good choice - plenty of torque and cheap to run.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
X5

Well I didn't know that,,,early 03 engines are smaller capacity 2.9.
135kw.. Am I right in saying they changed to 3.0. 150kw later that year?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well I didn't know that,,,early 03 engines are smaller capacity 2.9.
135kw.. Am I right in saying they changed to 3.0. 150kw later that year?
not sure. my manual gives info in mostly imperial. 3.0 engine is actually 2979cc. horsepower is listed as 225hp (according to online calculator that is 168 kw +/-). My manual doesn't give info for diesel engines. Probably a different manual?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked again, yeh an early 03 model advertised has engine spec of...bore&stroke of. 84x88.. 2.9ltr,Checked a later model,b&s of 84x 89.6..3.0ltr. I'm after a later model anyway, but interesting..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts