BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted this question before, but didn't get much feedback... I now have the 12v Power Noise Filter from EAS. My Ipod via the Dice is giving me whine noise that matches my RPMs.

I am really not sure where the noise filter needs to be spliced into. My Dice unit is attached through the cd changer connector and in place of the cd changer. I have the long trunk cable that runs from trunk to the front. do I splice into that line or further back of the line?

http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=42_136_139&products_id=309

Pictures would be helpful for those that have installed the same or a similar noise filter.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
I need to do this as well.. I was wondering if they made a device for the DICE.. you think they would've included it in the original design. thanks for the link!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK... so this is trying to pull some teeth here... maybe a lot of folks haven't done this.

So I tried to install this without a lot of specific directions. So I spliced this into the wire harness that comes off of my sirius radio (that is connected through the CD Changer connection). The wire harness runs from the sirius unit up along the drivers side to the dice unit which resides under the center console under the dash (close to the gas pedal).

The wiring going to the Dice has 1 set of 2 wiring pairs, for a total of 6 individual wires. First pair is black, white and red. The second pair is black, white and brown. The Power Noise Filter has 3 wires... black, red, and blue. I spliced the power noise filter as close to the Dice as I could....

Red to red, Blue to Brown and I grounded the black to the frame.

Unfortunately I still have the whine noise that increases with the RPMs. Either I wired it wrong or maybe the splice is not good. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are the instructions verbatim:

Disconnect the battery before Installing the Power Noise Filter (PNF). Install the PNF between equipment and its fuse.

1) Splice the PNF into the power lead; red wire towards the power source, blue wire towards the equipment.

2) The black wire should be grounded at the same point of as the equipment or a clean chassis ground (clean and free of paint).

I email Tom at EAS and asked, "need to know what wires to splice into to attach the filter. I understand it needs to be attached to "the" power source, but power source to what? Pictures would be great if you have any."

He responded:

"The wire will tap into the brown wire on the DICE side of the harness."

This might be clear to most, but this did not help me... I am clearly of need of some help/break down to a 1st grade level. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too need help with this install. I am ordering the filter for my car soon enough.

From what I've red...it seems that the correct splice order should be red to brown, blue to red, black to black. But then again I'm just guessing.

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
Donc33 I wish I could help.. but I hope you do post your success so when I buy my PNF I will know what to do. You're pioneering it for us! :)

My buddy lives in Portland, he could hook it up for you :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here are the instructions verbatim:

Disconnect the battery before Installing the Power Noise Filter (PNF). Install the PNF between equipment and its fuse.

1) Splice the PNF into the power lead; red wire towards the power source, blue wire towards the equipment.

2) The black wire should be grounded at the same point of as the equipment or a clean chassis ground (clean and free of paint).

I email Tom at EAS and asked, "need to know what wires to splice into to attach the filter. I understand it needs to be attached to "the" power source, but power source to what? Pictures would be great if you have any."

He responded:

"The wire will tap into the brown wire on the DICE side of the harness."

This might be clear to most, but this did not help me... I am clearly of need of some help/break down to a 1st grade level. :)
Maybe Im reading this different than you but on number 1 above in your post...to me it seems the
red and blue wire splices into the same 1 line (power line of equipment) in "series" in the direction indicated...Is Tom saying the brown wire is the power wire possily? Im picturing hooked in "series" for example (PS...Their Line...Red Wire...PF...Blue Wire...Their Line...Equipment) where you are hooking into their line (power line at some point)...dont know if it can be right at the power source or right at the equipment or qould be easier to be somewhere in their line but somewhere to that power line. Are you saying you have hooked them to different lines (Accross lines)?...this is not the way Im reading it. Then the black is to a ground. Does anyone else agree with me here or am I reading this incorrectly? I have not seen the filter or anything just throwing this out there...maybe Im wring but thats what it seemed to me from the post anyways.

·
Registered
399 Posts
well...did you ever get your filter working or did you give up on it? :dunno:
I have a siren sound in my AM Radio reception although it does not fluctuate with RPM's...it just fluctuates like a siren. I wonder if one of those filters would help?

·
Registered
241 Posts
To reduce the whinning noise I got, I wrapped the dice cable from the changer in a towel (Just the part crossing the battery cable) and I dont get the Whine any more :-D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts