BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The car is a 1997 528i with 220K miles. I've always used sync oil.

My water pump recently broke... water pump had 100k+ on it which I believe what caused the pulley to break and loose it's bearings. I was doing 70 and belt snapped because of it.

This is what I replaced: Waterpump and waterpump pulley. All rollers and tensioner. Both belts just in case. The car run's normal - idle is steady and temp is a tad to the left of halfway.

I'm getting a sound which sounds like it's from one of the rollers on the right size (drivers) but all the rollers are new. What's weird is it only makes a sound when it's idling. When the engine is 200 rpm higher or more from idle there is no sound. When the engine is at operating temperate the sound is slightly higher but doesn't get any louder and the sound only occurs during idle.

I have no idea where the sound is coming from?

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I have no idea where the sound is coming from?
Besides the advice to post a video, there is lots of good advice for debugging the sound in this thread:
- How to diagnose screeching noises while idling (1)

Also, these noise videos may ring a bell:
- VANOS rattling noise video (1) (2)
- Water pump impeller noise video (1)
- Water pump bearing bearing noise video (1)
- Alternator bearing or pulley cold-idle noise video [went away with a belt-drive system overhaul] (1)
- Alternator clicking noise [went away with a new alternator] (1)
- Unknown noise video (oil pump bolts?) (1)
- DISA (DIfferenzierte SAuganlage - "Differential Air Intake") valve o-ring failure symptoms video (1)
- DISA (DIfferenzierte SAuganlage - "Differential Air Intake") rattles (1)
- Air conditioning compressor knocking sounds (1)
etc.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
You might also try this:

(photo courtesy of Wagonthedog)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... I usually don't get fast response with good advice like these.

I just read some of your other posts (both of you). I'm going to get the mechanics stethoscope and also try spraying with belt dressing to see if the sound goes away. I have belt dressing so I can try that when the engine gets hot. I won't be able to try the stethoscope until this weekend.

It is odd the car has less than 200 miles with these parts making noise. I think I didn't hear anything with the first 100miles.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
You might have damaged the alternator pulley when the belt broke.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update

Update:

Last weekend I took for a 30mile drive and since the freeway was clear I drove half of the way doing 80mph just to see if the sound would get worst or not. I normally dont drive this fast. I got to my destination and was in the city streets and notice the car wasn't making any noise. 4 hours later I had to head home and still no sound.

Tomorrow will be exactly a week and still no sound... knock on wood.

Btw I hope it's not the alternator pulley that was making the noise.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks guys... I usually don't get fast response with good advice like these.

I just read some of your other posts (both of you). I'm going to get the mechanics stethoscope and also try spraying with belt dressing to see if the sound goes away. I have belt dressing so I can try that when the engine gets hot. I won't be able to try the stethoscope until this weekend.

It is odd the car has less than 200 miles with these parts making noise. I think I didn't hear anything with the first 100miles.
My car makes a similar sound. Its a very faint belt sound, but it is noticeable. The car runs perfectly fun but exactly like yours, it makes this noise at idle. What kind of belt dressing is recommended and good for the e39? Let me know if it works and the sound goes away.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
Good luck, r0n. Maybe there was something odd about the belt and it didn't seat exactly right in the pulleys. Let us know if the sound comes back. I'm curious what it was myself. Nice the Yay Area weather's coming around, isn't it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My car makes a similar sound. Its a very faint belt sound, but it is noticeable. The car runs perfectly fun but exactly like yours, it makes this noise at idle. What kind of belt dressing is recommended and good for the e39? Let me know if it works and the sound goes away.
I didn't use any belt dressing this time but I have in the past for my AC belt. I forgot the brand name but I believe there was only one that is in a red can. Just ask the sales person at the parts store where the belt dressing is located.

Good luck, r0n. Maybe there was something odd about the belt and it didn't seat exactly right in the pulleys. Let us know if the sound comes back. I'm curious what it was myself. Nice the Yay Area weather's coming around, isn't it?
Thanks bobdmac! If the sounds comes back, I'll post another update to this thread. Funny I was going to get the mechanics stethoscope the next day but the sound went away. I think I'm going to get one anyway for future diags.

The weather is coming around... I hope it doesn't turn out to be a long hot summer. The news keeps on saying it's going to rain but was teased by mother nature instead. Lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts