BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
E36 Generation
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...im gettin this rattling noise coming from the engine...im thinkin that it might b the valves...but im not sure...any suggestion???

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
Probably your hydraulic lifters buddy (very common)

Is it in the middle of the engine (near the oil cap) or closer to the front?

·
E36 Generation
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably your hydraulic lifters buddy (very common)

Is it in the middle of the engine (near the oil cap) or closer to the front?
yea its near the cap...somewhere around there...it only rattles in the morning, after leaving it undrive....but after u drive it a bit....u dont hear it no more...odd???

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
the manual says that a tapping noise is normal, as long as it goes away withing about 15 or so minutes. I guess it has to do with expansion when the engine warms up.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
If it doesn't go away, your lifters could be stuck, or your valves need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It would be a waste to fix that. The reason it rattles is because things shrink when they are cold and expand when they are hot, including your engine, when its cold it rattles because everything is further apart and has more clearance, but once it heats up, all the parts fit tightly. You don't want an engine with tightly fitting parts in cold conditions because then when it gets hot, there will be a large amount of friction, heat, scraping, and wearing. So basically, dont worry about the rattling.

·
Spitfire
609 Posts
When did you change youre oil last ?
Try that, and see what happens. It sould go away. But I don't think it's something to worrey about .

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Mate....what kind of oil.....ROYAL PURPLE....10w-40.....

Cone
XXX

·
E36 Generation
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how can i get a hold of those???they must b imported right? and wats the cost of it???besides royal purple...wat else is good...tat is located in the US....lol....which oil are thicker???10-40???or 5-40???

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Royal Purple is MADE in the U.S...and 10w-40 is the 'weight' of the oil to use.

Cone
XXX

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
ROYAL PURPLE
ROYAL PURPLE
ROYAL PURPLE
ROYAL PURPLE
ROYAL PURPLE

RRROOOOYYYAALLLLLL PPPUUURRRPPPLLLEEE (said like LEEROY JENKINS)

·
Spitfire
609 Posts
Damn it !!! I want Royal Purple !!!
I'm thinking of asking the Drag racers around here since most of there cars are from the states.
Btw, is RP related to GM because theres a GM Performance Center here. You think they might have some ?!

·
E36 Generation
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Royal Purple is MADE in the U.S...and 10w-40 is the 'weight' of the oil to use.

Cone
XXX
its made in the US????hahaha...i didnt know that...thought it was imported....lol....hmmm....so what store carries these kind of oil then???does BMW dealership have it???whats the price on them?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a tapping noise that is intermittent regardless of temp. most noticeable near idle (probably because engine is quieter and less road noise). I think it's my valves. Should I get them adjusted?

·
Still here
12,188 Posts
I have a tapping noise that is intermittent regardless of temp. most noticeable near idle (probably because engine is quieter and less road noise). I think it's my valves. Should I get them adjusted?
You cant buddy (your VANOS does that for you), is more likely to be your lifters and they will need changing if some good oil doesn't stop it :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts