BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm alone in the car I noticed that there is a noise from the front right suspension that sounds like a vibrating clunking noise but goes away once I'm up to speed. The same happens when I take a sharp right turn around a corner when I'm at speed. If someone else is in the car it weighs the suspension down and you dont hear it anymore and the noise is mainly happening when accelerating and weight is taken off the suspension.

Has anyone else experienced this and what might be the solution?

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
When I'm alone in the car I noticed that there is a noise from the front right suspension that sounds like a vibrating clunking noise but goes away once I'm up to speed. The same happens when I take a sharp right turn around a corner when I'm at speed. If someone else is in the car it weighs the suspension down and you dont hear it anymore and the noise is mainly happening when accelerating and weight is taken off the suspension.

Has anyone else experienced this and what might be the solution?
Sounds like it might be a CV joint.

·
Registered
130 Posts
But the noise is coming from the front right of the car. I don't think it'd be a CV joint
I never had a Z series BMW, but I can say from experience. Check the front wheel bearing on that side for play and or any other loose suspension components including your brakes. You want to do that first. Wheel bearings at times can be overlooked for making noise even though they are not loose. Also they tend to make noise in turns especially.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Improperly tightened wishbone and/or radius rod bushings will make that sound when cornering. Bushings must be tightened with the suspension loaded (the weight of the car on the wheels). Drive the front end onto a ramp or other suitable device that will permit you to safely get under the car then loosen and re-torque the bushings to spec. This is easy to do and doesn't cost anything. If that doesn't work, then check wheel bearings for lateral play, etc.

See:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Improperly tightened wishbone and/or radius rod bushings will make that sound when cornering. Bushings must be tightened with the suspension loaded (the weight of the car on the wheels). Drive the front end onto a ramp or other suitable device that will permit you to safely get under the car then loosen and re-torque the bushings to spec. This is easy to do and doesn't cost anything. If that doesn't work, then check wheel bearings for lateral play, etc.

See:
I jacked the car up and the front right wheel had significant side to side play but not top or bottom. Seems I have some bad tie rods as they've also started a small vibration while on the road in the steering wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts