BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I noticed a strange noise in my engine besides metallic noise, it looks like a ‘poc poc’
I know I have an injector that starts to die, does an end-of-life injector make this kind of noise, I made a video.
The chain tensioner was changed 5 months ago. I was able to check the chain it's tense and don't move at all.
Link of vidéo: 4 avril 2021

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's really hard to tell from the video. How do you know that the injector is failing?
Because I had ignition failures on cylinder 1 with new spark plug and coils.
The spark plugs + coils of cylinder 1 have been exchanged with cylinder 4 and in spite of this the ignition failure remains on cylinder 1

·
Registered
79 Posts
In that case, the injector replacement is warranted. This thread seems to suggest precisely that:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you hear a strange noise? Chain or other?
When the engine is hot, the chain is stretched when I try to move it with a clean tool, it does not move at all and is very stretched

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's not my movie, but I watch and read about this engine often. N43 it requires care to ride efficiently.
This sound is similar to yours, it looks on Vanos. If timing chain tensioner was changed.
However, it is difficult to say, it is complicated at a distance.

How often do you change oil?
What oil are you going, to the engine?
What oil level do you keep?
Timin Chain was changed? When?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, my chain tensioner was changed 4 months ago, the old tender was in good condition.
I change my oil once a year and I don't drive much, I do less than 10k km a year.
As regards oil I put castrol edge 5w30. And I often check my oil level, it's always between the minimum and the maximum
My distribution chain has never been changed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Theoretically it should withstand more than 140k, but the N43 is known to have the chain randomly fail.
Routine and accurate control is recommended when the timing chain is already over 100k. Many on the forums write about timing malfunctions in N43.
"When the chain stretches, the plastic chain guides fracture and fall into the engine’s oil pan. The broken plastic is then sucked into the oil pump preventing sufficient oil pressure."
It's a black scenario, but it does not have to be like that. A lot of N43 units drives a long trouble-free.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I saw that the N43 had problems with the distribution chain, but it’s still quite rare. I also saw that when the oil pump is blocked by the plastic pieces the red engine light lights up, a sign of poor oil pressure, I never had this light yet and I hope I would never have it. How do I control the distribution chain? Do you have to open the engine?

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is probably no way to be 100% control the timing chain. Listen, control oil, dashboard indicators, etc. In my opinion, use the interval to change the chain at about 110-120k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is probably no way to be 100% control the timing chain. Listen, control oil, dashboard indicators, etc. In my opinion, use the interval to change the chain at about 110-120k.
I still find it unacceptable that a channel should be changed to 120k. A string does not change normally ....
Every time I take my car, I’m afraid of having a problem. Replacing the chain is a expensive operation I am putting money aside to be able to change it

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know, but well... N43 after 10 years will not walk like a new one. Change at a 120k timing chain, this is a contractual time, but everyone does individually. You can change it to 200k, but......fear increases x2. I know it's expensive, but it's BMW.

At the moment search for a good BMW mechanic for diagnosis. As soon as possible to prevent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like Fuel Tank Breather Valve, but Im not sure.
There are quite loud on this film.
Rising Ticking when the speed is increasing?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts