Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this problem before and it seemed to go away.

The noise I hear is after I make hard lefts or rights and then park the car. When I come back and first take off there is this plastic(maybe metallic) like noise I hear from the car. But the goes away after I brake.

Before when this happened the tech traced it down to the fron wheel bearings. They replaced them and I havent heard it since.

I was at my dealer on Friday and they said everything sounds normal. My service advisor said that the tech stated he thinks it could be with tires themselves. I guess since the tires get hot and then you park them when making hard turns that it could be possible for them to be making this noise when you first take off. However, I could swear that I hear the noise sometimes when I am just driving and take a corner hard. Of course it does me no good to have a tech ride with me since I only hear it occassionaly. Whereas before when they replaced the wheel bearing you heard it all the time.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Matthew:dunno:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So nobody has any help, ideas, or to just tell me that it sounds normal and to forget about it.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
Wasn't there a TSB for a control arm issue that addressed a problem similar to this?

I'm not quite sure but search around and you might find it.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
GotBMW said:
...But the goes away after I brake. (snip)
Ever heard of something called patient? Perhaps none of us here has ever experienced such noise? Or maybe your description is very vague?

The first two times I read your post I wasn't sure what you're trying to say, until I zeroed in on THIS sentence I quoted above. It sounds like you were doing some hard corners or spirited driving, then parked your car, and then the next time you drive you hear a metallic rubbing sound? Does that accurately describe your "problem"?

I am going to assume when you park your car, you pull up on the hand brake/e-brake as well?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This noise is made when the tire goes around not when turning the front wheels.

Any ideas???

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Well, do you pull up on the hand brake or not?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes sometimes. but since its an auto not usually. when i have heard this noise its been 50/50 with the parking brake on and with it off.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
GotBMW said:
yes sometimes. but since its an auto not usually. when i have heard this noise its been 50/50 with the parking brake on and with it off.
Well, the parking brake will affect the rear brake and may not be what I am thinking of.

What may be happening is when you brake hard or corner especially hard, your brake pads are melting and getting deposited onto your brake rotors. That's why when you apply your brake the "noise" disappears, because the deposite gets scrubbed off by the brake pad after initial brake application.

Try this: Inspect your rotors CLOSELY and see if there are any discoloration in certain spots, or rings that form concentric circles on your rotors after a spirited drive. If so then it's just pad deposit that's causing the metallic or rubbing sound upon initially starting to move your vehicle the next time you drive.

One way to avoid this deposite problem is after your spirited run/hot cornering, don't use your brakes when you're stopped at a light or in your driveway. That will continue to heat up the brake pads and cause the pads to deposite onto the rotors. And do NOT use the parking brake, because that'll also cause it to fuse to the rear drive wheel's rotors, and cause it to rub the next time you drive. You can either put the car in neutral or park when you're at a light and let your foot off the brake pedal. See if that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts