BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Uh-oh probably gonna get in trouble with the Search Police on this one but I did try a few search strings beforehand.... lot of hits relating to heat shields etc.

When refilling coolant today, I noticed a sympathetic vibration or rattle at idle as the engine was warming up. It was one of those large heat deflectors or fins above the exhaust headers. I could grab it and no rattle, let go and rattles like crazy. It's on good and tight but its shape seems to amplify engine vibrations.....

I can't find the part in realOEM.com diagrams for my car and don't quite know what it's for or what to call it. Anyone else dealt with these? Any way to keep them from vibrating? I can live with it, still just wondering if there's a way to stop the rattle....

·
Premium Member
8,020 Posts
Short of replacing the exhaust manifold, the "quick and dirty" method would be to run an ss hose clamp around it and tighten. If there is no way to get an exhaust clamp around it, I would go to a muffler shop and have them tack weld it down in a couple spots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.