BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its odd becuase squeeky brakes especially when reffering to non-OEM replacements (as is my case) are quite common but this particular squeek is not "pad on rotor" type. The squeek can actually be heard at a full stop or even in park. The front to calipers give a "old door" type creeking if you will... or for some of the more lively members, something like the bed creeking when your slappin skins ;o)

But all kidding aside I don't like the sound of it and I'm not sure how concerned I need to be. And better yet, what could be the culprit? So if anyone has had this issue please let me know what was done to cure that obnoxious noise! :mad:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Brake Lub

Hey,

How are you? Not sure if this is a related issue, but I bought the brake lub from BavAuto (Part # : NF2OZ ), when my brakes were squeaking. Works great; have no issues now. Maybe check that out? Stay cool.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im doing just fine...

Im doing just fine... except for these noisy brakes. But my understanding is that brake lube is whats applied to the back of the pads prior to install to help the screeching noise associated with semi metallic pads. The is more of a creeking coming from the caliper itself and is only heard when the car is stationary and the brake pedal is pressed. I want to say that something in regards to the caliper needs rebuilding replacing but I honestly have no clue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The stuff you apply to the back of the brake pad isn't a lube, its more like a solidifying rubber compund that absorbs vibration so you don't get that high pitch harmonic sound when braking. Your calipers themselves slide on a steel rod, so perhaps that rod needs lubrication. The rod is about 2 inches in length.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah you're right

I see what your saying now. I was thinking anti-squeel but this is an actual lube for the caliper itself. So let me ask you this... If this pin has been obviously functioning with a lack of lubrication should it be replaced? Or simply applying the lube will solve the creeking?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't think it needs replacing but you'll have to determine that at the time of inspection. The anti-squeal compound is blue (you are correct) although it comes in many colors...you put that on the back of the pad and it turns into a rubbery glue and just dries there. The lube on the caliper rod is different and i'm sure you can find it at most auto parts stores. The rod is usually shiny but yours may be black and covered in baked up brake dust, if you just use some brake cleaner and rub it, that should clean it up. Then you can lube it and re-assemble. If you need instructions on how to get to it, just do a search for DIY Brake Pads, and somewhere in that process, talk about the rod should come up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.