BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or are the windsheild wipers fairly noisy during operation, particularly the passenger side wiper?

And they just seem to get noisier over time...
Anyone have the same opinion, and is it normal?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just had my wipers replaced at 1 yr maintenance and noticed the same thing. Didn't really notice it on the originals. I was thinking about putting a coat of Liquid Glass polish on the windshield to see if things improved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Believe it or not, it was 59 degrees for a high in Phoenix yesterday which included a ton of rain. The point being, it was the first time I used my wipers. And they were extremely quiet. So all I can say is try a new set. Quietest set I've ever had. My 08 Benz I just got rid of was noisy and I was worried about these, but to my surprise - quiet.

Take it back to the dealer and have them replaced again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The blades themselves aren't noisy, the noise really originates when the passenger wiper reaches it limit on the axis on the forward stroke, and changes direction to the backwards stroke. At that point is where it makes the rather abrupt noise.

When I change them during my 1-yr maintenance I'll see if it gets cured.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,861 Posts
Varying noise

The blades themselves make a noticeable noise when they "flip", but since they work so well I'm not complaining. OTOH, I've only had my car for about 2 months, but I have noticed that the wiper motor noise is more noticeable at times (not related to rain noise :)). I'm keeping my "ear" on them in case I notice a more pronounced sound possibly indicating a problem.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The blades themselves aren't noisy, the noise really originates when the passenger wiper reaches it limit on the axis on the forward stroke, and changes direction to the backwards stroke. At that point is where it makes the rather abrupt noise.

When I change them during my 1-yr maintenance I'll see if it gets cured.
I believe mine got worse. In fact, I had to take the car back when they put on the wrong size blades!

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
i thought it was tree sap and carwash wax that caused the noise. the dealer just replaces them if you complain at service.

·
Officially Welcomed
188 Posts
Also, when your stopped at a light and the wipers start you can feel the vibration all the way down to your brake pedal? :dunno:

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
wow, mine are the quietest I've ever had. I have the coupe...perhaps the sedan is noisier for some reason? In the past on other cars, Claying the windshield and applying Klasse sealant glaze every few months always kept the wipers extremely smooth and also made the water bead up and blow off the windshield very easily.

·
Lymphoma Cancer Awareness
8,600 Posts
Mine are quiet as well (no squeak per se) but I think I know what you are talking about at higher wipe speeds it makes a bit of a thump thump when it gets to the top point

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Believe it or not, it was 59 degrees for a high in Phoenix yesterday which included a ton of rain. The point being, it was the first time I used my wipers. And they were extremely quiet. So all I can say is try a new set. Quietest set I've ever had.
Same here! First time I had to use them and I could not agree with you more. Very quiet and efficient. I love the automatic wiper function!

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I don't like how the brake pedal pulses whenever the wipers wipe, but the wiper performance itself is fine.

Out of curiosity, why does the windscreen in the 325i seem so loud compared to that in my X3? Whenever there is a summer downpour, the clattering is deafening on the 325i and you cannot hear anything else including the radio or the person sitting next to you. I never noticed this in the X3. :dunno:

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
I had a bit of a problem with my wipers, but it's all fixed now. Just go into the dealer and ask for new wipers inserts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts