BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a question. Has anyone used Nokian snow tires for their cars? I drive a 330i SP, and was told that they don't make plain steel wheels that will clear the breaks. So, it seems that it will cost about 1000 to equip my car for the winter. Any ideas?
I wanted to buy plain steel wheels with Nokian snow tires. But it doesn't seem possible. Help please!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
You would need 17" steel wheels, which do exist but admittedly are quite rare.

Nokian snow tires are actually quite good. Their high performance ones are really more like all-seasons. Just picture their target to be, say, 70% snow and 30% dry performance. My dad uses them on his E30 after Pirelli stopped making 14" H-rated snow tires. They are actually MUCH better than the 190T's he had on. Quiet for a winter tire, too.

Still though, since you are looking at 17", I recommend the Pirelli 210 Snowsports. I use them on my car, and I swear they are quieter than the Conti's I use in the summer. Great handling, despite the 15" size I use. They are of course 130mph rated, which is great for those early-spring releases of driving excitement that I go through. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Nokian's are excellent for getting you through the snow. They do give up dry handling to get that snow performance though. I used to run them on my 318ti before I got my present car. I researched them for 17" sizes for my xi and if I recall at the time the 225/45/17 or the 205/50/17 I wanted wasn't available in the US, just Europe. It could be different now. I went with Michelin Pilot Alpins instead, which aren't as great in the snow but handle extremely well for a snow tire.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Topaz330xi said:
I researched them for 17" sizes for my xi and if I recall at the time the 225/45/17 or the 205/50/17 I wanted wasn't available in the US, just Europe. It could be different now. I went with Michelin Pilot Alpins instead, which aren't as great in the snow but handle extremely well for a snow tire.
I had Nokian NRW's on my old car too, and thought they were an excellent tire in wet, in the snow, and on ice. On dry pavement they were just good, but much better than other snows I'd used. They do make some in a 17 inch size for the US market now. Available, here: http://www.etires.com/ or locally. Alas, Jim at Tirerack says they will not be offering Nokians anytime in the future. I'll probably pick Blizzaks or the Alpins this winter just to try them, but won't hesitate to go back to NRW's if those don't pan out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go for Nokian, they're the best

I use Nokians on my 325Ci, they perform really well. They're made here in Finland, where we've actually got a lot of snow in the winter. Many of the other tire manufacturers use test tracks here for developing their snow tires.
By the way, why not just use your regular wheels and switch the rubber instead of getting a different set of wheels for the winter ? You can have any tyre shop do that for next to nothing...

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
jester76 said:
thanks for the replies. How do you guys feel about Blizzack? Which one would you rec. for 17 inch wheels? TIA
Blizzaks are a excellent tire for icy conditions and heavy snow.
I have run them on my Mustang and it improved the handling from a impossible car to drive in the snow to decent handling car in the snow. I just order a set for my 325i w/SP and there should be no problem getting through the winter considering the 325i is much more balanced car and the DSC will also help. The only problem with the Blizzaks is that the are very soft tires (thats so they will handle well in icy conditions) and they are louder on the highway than sport tires because of the aggressive tread design.

It takes some getting used to the squishy feel of the tires... but when it snows or its icy you are glad to have them on the car. Also be sure to take them off right after the last snow because they will wear out very quickly in warm weather.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.