BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys typically have BMW service your cars or a third party (bimmer shops, etc)? I'm recently coming off my dealer included maintenance and have only had bad experiences with my local dealer, to the point where I've contacted BMW NA (which didn't accomplish anything of course). Just wondering if there is any real difference or if I'm ridiculous for continuing to use the dealer and pay out of pocket. Just wondering your experiences and advice. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
You need to find a good indy --- quality probably better in many cases (depends on your BMW Service dept) and cheaper in probably all cases.

The problem is some Indy's will only deal with what you want done at that time. That is, they may not pay attention to checking what should be done at that mileage. It is your time, your money and they don't want to turn you off because of that. You can download off a BMW site what should be checked at each mileage, and either do the check yourself (on those you can) or have the Indy do it. In my experience, spend some money to save you bigger money later.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dealer vs Independent for maintenance

You need to find a good indy --- quality probably better in many cases (depends on your BMW Service dept) and cheaper in probably all cases.

The problem is some Indy's will only deal with what you want done at that time. That is, they may not pay attention to checking what should be done at that mileage. It is your time, your money and they don't want to turn you off because of that. You can download off a BMW site what should be checked at each mileage, and either do the check yourself (on those you can) or have the Indy do it. In my experience, spend some money to save you bigger money later.
Agree 100%. We're fortunate to have a local Indy who specializes on foreign cars and German in particular. Has been maintaining our cars (various Porsche and BMW) over the years and domestic as well. Right now our two current Bimmers are both on factory warranty but as soon as off they'll go to Indy.

Want to state that we've never had problems with our local BMW dealer, but Independent prices are lower and service just as good if not better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts