BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know ed is its own animal regarding deals. i also know that "normal" purchases at dealerships here are subject to supply/demand, how new the model is etc. what can one expect to get as a "good deal" at a dealership. i am thinking specfically of a 525xi for my brother who lives in the boston area.

my sense is that the "big name" dealerships are not the ones where you get the best prices. for all you boston area bimmerfesters, for instance herb chambers is unlikely to give as good a deal as the bmw dealer out in shrewsbury. can anyone give me an idea of % off msrp that would be doable. any thoughts would be appreciated. :thumbup:

·
Registered
383 Posts
wagonman said:
i know ed is its own animal regarding deals. i also know that "normal" purchases at dealerships here are subject to supply/demand, how new the model is etc. what can one expect to get as a "good deal" at a dealership. i am thinking specfically of a 525xi for my brother who lives in the boston area.

my sense is that the "big name" dealerships are not the ones where you get the best prices. for all you boston area bimmerfesters, for instance herb chambers is unlikely to give as good a deal as the bmw dealer out in shrewsbury. can anyone give me an idea of % off msrp that would be doable. any thoughts would be appreciated. :thumbup:
I'm in the Boston area and just ordered a 330i for July ED. I called every dealer in Mass. and New Hampshire; only found one that would negotiate from ED invoice. I paid $XXXX over that. I wanted to pay $100 less; at the end $100 didn't make that much difference to me.

It's my first BMW and my first ED. I have no idea if this dealer is any good, plus his wife is having a baby right around the time I am supposed to pay for the car, so I suspect all kinds of things are slipping his mind right about now (and understandably so). Still, I do have a production number which allowed me onto Owner's Circle, so I guess it's a real thing.

I did the deal by phone, giving him a credit card for a deposit. Everything else has been by fax. They have insisted I come to the dealership at least once before I go to Munich; since I've arranged payment for them 40 days in advance of my date, I suspect this is gonna be a hard sell of something or other.

So, that's my experience so far.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Something like $1500 over invoice is a "normal" deal. As you say, you might have to pay more or less dependig on how hot the model is, etc.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
normal?

The Other Tom said:
Something like $1500 over invoice is a "normal" deal. As you say, you might have to pay more or less dependig on how hot the model is, etc.
1500 over invoice is a normal deal for regular united states purchase? i think you misunderstood me. i doubt it is even normal for ed, considering how few dealers will even do this.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, i get it

so 1500 over invoice is "easily" obtained. what about those who are not inclined for whatever reason to go overseas to pick up a car? is it simply catchas catch can with regard to domestic deals. or is there a 1500 over ed invoice equivalent here?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
wagonman said:
so 1500 over invoice is "easily" obtained. what about those who are not inclined for whatever reason to go overseas to pick up a car? is it simply catchas catch can with regard to domestic deals. or is there a 1500 over ed invoice equivalent here?
I believe the thread I linked to said $1500 over invoice was easily obtained ...and the poster was talking about a US deal (non ED). I know I have purchased two BMW's from my dealer at $1500 over, again a US deal.
I suggest your brother go to his local dealer and tell him he can get $1500 over invoice at another dealer but would prefer to keep his business local. My guess is that his local dealer would work with him. If not, go to another dealer. Try Nalley BMW in the Atlanta area (they're a board sponsor). Ask for Adrain. He'll be more than glad to work with you. He can even arrange a PCD...well worth it, IMO.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
wagonman said:
There's a key difference between ED and regular delivery, which alters the "normal". It's more fully described in other posts, but basically ED cars don't come out of a dealer's allocation (some exceptions apply) whereas regular delivery cars do. Accordingly, dealers can sell as many ED cars as they want, whereas with regular delivery cars, there's an opportunity cost to the sale, because they could sell to the next guy for more money. So deals vary based on each dealer's perceived demand--some figure they can sell cars for a lot more, others may have a lot of stock they want to clear. So "it depends" is a lot more in play for regular delivery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts