Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed in numerous past threads, but is it possible to hook-up a non-BMW or non-OEM CD changer to my BMW? Would it work directly with the standard BMW stereo/controls? If so, which ones?

-Faheem

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Again, you might try the search function here (it's really useful!) - you will find tons of good info. Try 'mp3 changer' or 'alpine changer' or even 'pioneer changer'. I'm too tired to re-type all the known info. :D

Apparently a couple people here have had issues with 02's and the SoundGate + converter installation. I haven't installed mine yet, but I have the converters waiting for the MP3 changer...

--SONET

T

·
0 Posts
With a ~$100 adapter you can operate any M-bus Alpine changer.

These Alpine models are M-bus:

CHM-S601
CHM-S604
CHM-S611
CHM-S614
CHM-S620 (also plays MP3s)

T

·
0 Posts
Mig29 said:

No it doesn't. I wish it did though as I have it.
Sorry, my copy/paste of models missed the last model number. IT does play MP3s. That is model CHA-S634.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once again, thanks for your help fellas; and especially SONET.

-faheem

·
Crotchety Old Fart
258 Posts
I just bought one of the generic BMW-compatible changers that you can get from Bavarian Autosport. Except lots of them are available on ebay for much cheaper. I got itfor $285, shipping included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1382886995&rd=1

I installed it vertically in the left-side trunk tray, tight against the left wall. It comes with its own "universal" brackets. I don't know if this player would fit into the OEM brackets.

It works perfectly. Plug-and-play, and all the OEM controls work. The things are labeled "USA-Spec" brand. Who knows, who cares. The thing is small, inexpensive, and it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts