BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

(I know, F10 forum, but we all have the similar issue so i wanted more exposure...)

3 weeks in to my 2012 535ixGT - and the road noise and ride is eating at me.... :mad:

I'm looking to swap out the LS2's on the car with something non-RFT's. Any suggestions. I'm figuring that I can store the RFT's in my house and then put them back on in 3 years as OEM when I turn the lease in. I've been a fan of Michelin Energy's in the past and want an all season. I'm willing to bet that this will fix most of my ride issues quickly.

Also - any recomendations for storing the tires for 3 years. It will be a cool basement that usually stays between 60-70 degrees.

Thanks -

Wardman

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
For all seasons, I would recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S as an good all-round performer.

With respect to storage, I generally clean the tires and then give them a coating of tire shine and store them in the basement. I won't know the 3 year storage answer for another 2.5 years, but I haven't had any issues with tires stored for two years.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hello All,

(I know, F10 forum, but we all have the similar issue so i wanted more exposure...)

3 weeks in to my 2012 535ixGT - and the road noise and ride is eating at me.... :mad:

I'm looking to swap out the LS2's on the car with something non-RFT's. Any suggestions. I'm figuring that I can store the RFT's in my house and then put them back on in 3 years as OEM when I turn the lease in. I've been a fan of Michelin Energy's in the past and want an all season. I'm willing to bet that this will fix most of my ride issues quickly.

Also - any recomendations for storing the tires for 3 years. It will be a cool basement that usually stays between 60-70 degrees.

Thanks -

Wardman
Given your location, I have had extreme success with the Continental DWS (Dry Wet Snow) all-seasons.

One of the most quiet and longest lasting tire I ever owned. Funky tread pattern, but the proof is in the pudding.

If you buy now I think they are giving away a free Garmin with a set.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm also interested in the Pilot Sport A/S so I read a lot of customer reviews. The one thing that stuck out was several comments about them getting very noisy after ~20K miles. Anybody here have a comment?

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
I'm also interested in the Pilot Sport A/S so I read a lot of customer reviews. The one thing that stuck out was several comments about them getting very noisy after ~20K miles. Anybody here have a comment?
I have them on my current car yes they are little noisy compared to my previous oem tires but it is compensated by the performance they offer.... No regrets at all.,.

And also in F10 the road noise levels are very low so it shouldnt be a concern to you guys

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks! How many miles on them?

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Given your location, I have had extreme success with the Continental DWS (Dry Wet Snow) all-seasons.

One of the most quiet and longest lasting tire I ever owned. Funky tread pattern, but the proof is in the pudding.

If you buy now I think they are giving away a free Garmin with a set.
The DWS's are not a good match for this car.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
I think that was a symptom of the first gen A/S's. The second gen (denoted by plus) is much better in this regard.

I had a set of both on my Volvo and experienced noise with the first gen, but not the second gen. 40k plus miles on both sets.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks!

·
Eye of the Wolf
2,783 Posts
The DWS's are not a good match for this car.
I hope they are a good match to my car!
I have staggered 20" wheels and tires on my GT.

I had Goodyear Excellence and needed to enhance my winter driving capability. 2 months ago I ordered Conti DWS - the dealership installed Conti DW....Caveat Emptor. Actually, it was interesting since I got to road test/ compare/contrast the Conti DWs for a week in both dry and wet conditions until my correct tires arrived.

Only time will tell if the Contis were a good choice. In the meantime, here are a few initial reactions...

Conti Extreme DW Max Performance Summer Tire - my GT came alive when these were installed. They are ever so slightly harsher and a tad noisier than the Goodyears but offered exquisite road feel - you really feel the texture of the road in the steering wheel. At all times you have a sense of what the wheels are doing. Handling was much sharper, and the GT responded quickly and very predictably. A nice tire but perhaps a little edgy for the GT.

Conti DWS Ultra Performance All Seasons - compliant is the word - wonderfully compliant. The effortless character of the GT and the slightly soft (compared to the ContiDWs) seems to be a natural pairing. From a seat of the pants perspective, the DWSs are more responsive than the Goodyears and offer a far superior riding experience especially on my 20 inch wheels. They offer wonderful feel but are not quite so textural as the DWs. In the wet, they seem to track well. I hope, they work as others have said in light snow.

I was frightened for many months to ditch my runflats - despite the advice and experience of some on this forum. My initial reaction is all positive - I hope I feel this way in a few months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.