BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the recommended tire choices for 245/45 19? I was looking at continental DWS 06 but the load rating is 98 instead of 102. The car is on its way to San Diego area with the 19" winter run flat wheels. The 20" summer staggered setup is sitting in Chicago.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
DWS always get great reviews. Unless you constantly have your car packed with passengers and luggage, I wouldn't worry about the load rating. As long as the size is correct.

·
Registered
10,709 Posts
Tire Rack shows some Michelin's with a 102 load rating, but they're OE tires for Audi's, M-B's, and Tesla's. Unlike most OE spec' tires though, they're reasonably priced.

·
Registered
399 Posts
What are the recommended tire choices for 245/45 19? I was looking at continental DWS 06 but the load rating is 98 instead of 102. The car is on its way to San Diego area with the 19" winter run flat wheels. The 20" summer staggered setup is sitting in Chicago.
I got the Good Year ones from Discount Tire. They were the best ones for the Price. All in all I paid around $1282 and then received a $100 rebate card. So basically, $1182 for 4 Run Flat Tires installed with legendary customer service from Discount Tire (includes Hazard Protection and warranty up to 50,000 miles. There is no other RF which gives that kind of Warranty). I expect the Tires to go perhaps 20,000 miles and then will get a pro-rated discount from Discount Tire for the same Tires again.

·
Registered
10,709 Posts
"Touring" or "Grand Touring" is a euphemism for "low performance."

The US DOT "traction rating" only measures wet performance. Note that the Pirelli's have and "AA" rating where those Conti's only have an "A" rating.

The US DOT tread wear rating system is flawed, in that it's only good for comparing tires from the same manufacturer. But, in general, the lower the tread wear rating, the better the traction. Soft rubber sticks better than hard rubber, but it wears faster. Note that the Pirellis have a 500 tread wear rating. Those Conti's are 700. 700 is in hockey puck territory. I have ultra high performance tires on both of my cars, Michelin PSS's and Conti DW's, and their treadwear ratings are 300 and 340, respectively. I still get 35k to 40k miles out of them.

You have an expensive, high-performance car. Don't ruin the performance with some tires made for a Buick. Go with the Pirelli's.

If you're never going to see snow or temperatures below freezing, some non-all-season high performance tires would give you even better performance. The Conti' CONTISPORTCONTACT 5 and Pirelli P ZERO (PZ4) (BMW SPEC) tires have a 102 load rating.

·
MANAGING DIRECTOR, USA
6 Posts
2016 750i xDrive

I use these:

Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS - SIZE: 245/45R19 Ultra High Performance All-Season

Run-Flats suck in NYC!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use these:

Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS - SIZE: 245/45R19 Ultra High Performance All-Season

Run-Flats suck in NYC!
i'm in NYC and have a new 2019 750i ... these run flats are driving me nuts.. i have 20k miles and 3 blown tires so far. These Pirlelli P Zero... how have performed ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
i'm in NYC and have a new 2019 750i ... these run flats are driving me nuts.. i have 20k miles and 3 blown tires so far. These Pirlelli P Zero... how have performed ?
Runflats suck because they ride like bricks?

I'm looking into a 2020 BMW 760 and have to place my order in October or November to get it by 2/1/20.

I see the configuration gives me an option for non run flat.

Is that the way to go?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts