BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mike
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm a BMW and Bimmerfest newbie. Just purchased a used 1998 528i, automatic w/140K. I know, high miles, but the price was right and (knock on wood) she runs well and looks great save for a few minor cosmetic details.

Just a couple of questions:

1. Do hood roundels need adhesive? I got one from the dealer, but when I put it on the grommets are loose in the holes (story of my life, actually)
  2. Does anyone have any tips for child seat installation?
  3. Anyone retrofit their 5 series with satellite radio? I'd prefer an in-dash method over portable docks.

Thanks and can't wait to talk to you guys!

·
Smiling from gear to gear
1,216 Posts
1.I replaced mine and it actually fit snug enough that I didn't put adhesive in it, never had any problems. Though, if your doesn't fit quite right just put some clear adhesive silicone on the tabs, line it up and let it dry..

·
Registered
89 Posts
when u get a new roundel you're sposed to get new grommets too. i installed mine 2 days ago (w/new grommets) and it was a very tight fit (that's what she said).

·
Registered
127 Posts
1. I'd get new grommets, it should feel tight

2. what info were you looking for on installing children seats?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've never installed a child seat but there's probably info in the owners manual.
Here's a link.

Good luck with your new baby. The I6's have a great reputation for durability. Don't cheap out on maintenance and you'll see that clock go around again. :thumbup:

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts

·
Mike
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never installed a child seat but there's probably info in the owners manual.
Here's a link.

Good luck with your new baby. The I6's have a great reputation for durability. Don't cheap out on maintenance and you'll see that clock go around again. :thumbup:
Thank you!!! Awesome link!!! And that I6 info is always good to hear. :thumbup:

·
Mike
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. I'd get new grommets, it should feel tight

2. what info were you looking for on installing children seats?
Got the grommets, it fits nice and tight now! :thumbup:

As for child seating, I got a link to the info I need. This forum is awesome! :D

·
Mike
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think there's some BMW OEM sat radio retrofit jobbie but it'll be expensive as hell. Search the forums for more info, and check out bimmernav.com.
TBH you'll be better off anyways with an iPod adapter and an iPod or similar full of music/podcasts you enjoy. Sat radio is pricey for a short loop of repetitive music...

Edit. That was easier than I thought. http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_Sirius_Satellite_Radio_Retrofit.html#Parts required for PRE 2002
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm only into satellite radio for Howard Stern, otherwise I wouldn't even bother.

·
Corey
707 Posts
If you dont want your seats to get all messed up due to the child seat, I would definitely put some cardboard and a towel under the child seat... It makes all the difference!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought a pad to put down on the seat, its made by Eddie Bauer and you can pick it up from Target for about $15 bucks, or I like the cardboard idea for nothing....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts