·
Registered
5,657 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Woo Hoo!!!!
Congrats.

How many miles do you plan on running up before you retire it?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My car is a virginesque at 62K

Keep on Truckin...

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,398 Posts
Dang, I still have less than 20K!

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Uh, it's April Fools Day today!

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uh, it's April Fools Day today!
I actually bought my car on April 1st, 2007. I still haven't figured out if the joke is ultimately on me...

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woo Hoo!!!!
Congrats.

How many miles do you plan on running up before you retire it?
Good question. I usually start looking for a replacement around this kind of mileage and pass the car along to another family member. But the economy being what it is, I may have to keep driving it another year. I guess I can see if it will last as long as the 'ol '87 Coupe de Ville - (210K miles - death by Utility Van on hiway 91/5 merge in 1995)

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Impressive numbers there.. How are the service costs going?
More than a Toyota/Honda/Nissan, less than a Ferrari. :)

But, generally, worth it.

Lessons learned: Never buy a first year BMW product without an extended warranty. (I did, BTW, because I was worried about the folding top...which has never been an issue). I am the reason why the 335i extended warranty rate went from the original $2600 to the current price. :). As my Service Manager put it, "it's like we lifted the body off your car and put it on a 2009 chassis."

With that in mind, I could buy a MY 2009+ without an extended warranty. A major chunk of the engine issues were addressed on the production line by then.

·
8D
745 Posts
Wow. That's around 100 miles per day. Glad to know E93 is holding up well over time. I guess yours is one of the very first E93s sold. It must have been awesome back then to see people's faces when operating the top.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Impressive, Bcube. I remember when a lot of us were super excited about the E93 coming out... a few of you beat me to delivery but my production date was 4/7/2007. Sounds like your top stays nice and dry... I've had a variety of issues but the only big ones were HPFP and the top. Only 36K on mine though...

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
Any estimates how much the car has cost you out of pocket after the warranty was over and maintenance ended? Do you do maintenance as per the computer indicating it needs it and any necessary repairs?

This makes me somewhat hopeful mine will last 10 years, but of course some parts break due to miles drive, others simply due to age.

Happy birthday! :thumbup:

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
^^^
Sorry for the long post, but you did ask! :)
On one of my older posts, I recorded how much I spent on maintenance from 50,001 miles to 100,000 miles, I want to say it was ~$1400. This included 4 wheel brake OEM brake pad change but without rotors.

At 102K miles, I DIY'd complete fluid changes - minus the AT cause it had been replaced at 88K miles. At this time, I quit going to the dealer and the Indy, it has all been DIY.

I don't remember exactly, but a gallon of BMW coolant and a gallon of Distilled water was ~$20. A quart of CHF-11s from Napa for the power steering was ~$12. A couple of quarts of Factory fill for the diff was purchased at the local Range Rover dealer ~$10 X 2 quarts Castrol SAF-XO. Again I don't remember the exact costs, but you get the idea.

Next up where the brakes:
2 Stillen Front Rotors with AP Racing (street performance) brakes- $350
2 Stillen Rear Rotors with AP Racing brakes -$300
2 OEM sensors
4 Brake Caliper OEM spring clips (recommend replacement by BMW after 100K miles)
1 G2 paint caliper kit $50 (calipers rusted and generally looking like crap)
1 Set of Goodridge SS brake lines ~$170
1 Liter of Brake Fluid
1 Motive Brake Fluid tool/kit ~$70

Recently:
1 OEM Air filter
1 OEM Cabin Microfilter
6 OEM spark plugs

And a few thousand miles ago:
1 set of Koni FSD shocks ~$700
L/R Front & rear OEM Bump stops ~$100 (Recommended for replacement by BMW when changing shocks)
1 set of E9X M3 front lower tension struts and wishbones ~$500 The control arms probably should have been replaced a lot sooner - and the new brakes really tore them up.

(IMO, the best mod one can do to their E9X. I could forgo the M3 lower wishbone arms as they just basically change camber - the same could be achieved with camber plates. And some minor modification may have to be done due to production variances - note that Dinan doesn't add these to their suspension kit. But the M3 tension struts are part of the Dinan kit, and the arms were pure plug and play. What a difference it made to the steering "feel". If I bought another new E9X, this would be the first change I'd make before even washing the car - the tension struts make that big of a difference.)

Due to the annual miles, I average ~$7000 in gas and ~$3000 in tires a year. I might lower the costs of tire if I bought All Seasons (higher tread life), but it's my personal quirk that I can't quit buying summer performance tires - it's why I drive a 3 series and of course my location/climate supports this.

{EDIT} Got my tension struts and wishbones backwards. Damn you BMW terminology)

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Any estimates how much the car has cost you out of pocket after the warranty was over and maintenance ended? Do you do maintenance as per the computer indicating it needs it and any necessary repairs?

This makes me somewhat hopeful mine will last 10 years, but of course some parts break due to miles drive, others simply due to age.

Happy birthday! :thumbup:
Took the words right out of my mouth... :thumbup:

- Mike

·
I do my crosswords in pen
1,925 Posts
(IMO, the best mod one can do to their E9X. I could forgo the M3 lower tension struts as they just basically change camber - the same could be achieved with camber plates. And some minor modification may have to be done due to production variances - note that Dinan doesn't add these to their suspension kit. But the M3 control arms are part of the Dinan kit, and the arms were pure plug and play. What a difference it made to the steering "feel". If I bought another new E9X, this would be the first change I'd make before even washing the car - the control arms make that big of a difference.)
I would really like to put some of these on. How can you tell when control arms start to get worn?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts