BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is my very first post. I've lurked for several years and the forum is invaluable. I'm hoping someone in the group can help me out:

I have a beautiful November 1998 build M3 Convertible E36 with only 28,000 miles.

It has the harmon kardon stereo upgrade with a 6CD changer in the trunk.

I want to install a Parrot MKi3200. Has anyone done this? Crutchfield is the normal 'go to' place for stereo equipment and harnesses, but they say the Harmon Kardon and the Parrot are not compatible.

I'm bummed.

I use mapping apps a lot, loving Waze these days.

Last week I installed a new Sony Bluetooth Tuner / Receiver / CD in my old Honda, and was unpleasantly surprised to find that mapping apps don't interrupt the Radio or CD with turn by turn instructions!

This works with a Parrot device. I had one in my 2001 Mini Cooper and it worked great.

SOOOOO - has anyone successfully installed a Parrot into an E36 with a Harmon Kardon with success?

Please help!

Thanks in advance,
Russ

·
Ambitious But Rubbish
1,231 Posts
Looks like what you want is some Bluetooth functionality added to the stock sound system, correct?

If that's the case, check out the Dice MediaBridge. It works with the factory head unit and amp and will add full Bluetooth capabilities for phone calls and music/Waze/etc streaming, as well as a wired iPod and/or USB and/or Aux inputs. My buddy has one in his E39 540i and it works flawlessly. He uses an Android phone to stream music and also Waze directions over the Bluetooth connection.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Brake, Thank you for the link to Dice. Nice hidden approach.

Dice says you have to disconnect the cd changer. Would like to keep it. Just because it's quaint. Cool old technology.

Sounds like a good option tho if I want to keep the dash all original.

Thanks for the input!

Russ

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi DC

Thank you for the link to the UK supplier. Dynamic Sounds look like they might have the correct connectors for the e36. I've sent them a contact asking if it will work with the Harmon Kardon business radio and 6 cd changer combo.

The Parrot seems rather pricey but it worked well in my Irish RH drive mini in Dublin!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS

I am located in the Greater Washington DC area now. I've only recently relocated back to the States after 9 Years in Dublin, Ireland.

Russ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts