BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that when I leave the A/C turned on and then turn off my car, the A/C fan spins down and makes some pretty annoying noise. I was just wondering if that is a normal. If so, I will do my best to be un-annoyed!

Patrick

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Actually, my 1 month old 325i has been doing the same thing, but it only started a week ago. The fan is so loud when I press the gas - it actually sounds like a second engine revving. Then it revs up and down until it fades after I let off the gas.

I'm actually taking it into my dealership Monday to have them check it out. The other issue is a hissing sound from the AC compressor inside the car. It was happening when I took delivery, so they fixed it immediately. Now it's back...

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Are you guys hearing like a whining noise type of noise ? ?

Because if you are then it is normal from what I have gathered over the years of being on these boards.

I have a noise when it is hot out and it sounds kind of like a whining . . . I hear it when I start to accelerate from a stop and will only notice it for the first 5 mph . . .

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Mine is definitely a loud, fluctuating whining. It lasts pretty much from 5mph and faster until about 4 seconds after I let off the gas. I'll do some more forum research.

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
asb2002 said:
Mine is definitely a loud, fluctuating whining. It lasts pretty much from 5mph and faster until about 4 seconds after I let off the gas. I'll do some more forum research.
Don't get yourself too crazy over it . . . there was just a talk about it in the last couple of weeks I think the topic had the word 'whine' or whining' in the title. Also, I've been on these boards for a few years now and this topic (concern) comes up every few months.

If so many people have this whining, I would say it's normal or there would have been either
a) a fix for it by BMW
b) a fix for it by some of the posters

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's just the engine driven fan. The viscous drive coupling locks up at a standstill to pull air through the radiator & A/C condensor when it is really hot outside. When you take off, it spins up with the engine and sounds a little like a jet engine. When you get moving, the viscous coupling cools down and unlocks and the fan slows down. I'm willing to bet that this is what you are hearing, and that all these cars affected are Steptronics; as e46's with manual trannys don't have the engine driven fan. I've heard mu mom's 740i do the same ting. Just my thoughts on it though.

DKJ

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
Well, I dropped my car off this morning and should hear from them later this afternoon. My loaner (2001 325i, SP, PP, HK) doesn't make the sound my car does. I had to listen to the howling all the way to the dealership. It does sound exactly like a wind tunnel. The ride home in the loaner was significantly quieter.

BTW, the difference in the steering between '01 and '02 is amazing. I can't believe how loose the steering is on the loaner - even with the sport package. My '02 is by far a tighter ride.

·
"Mr." Asb2002...
147 Posts
The diagnosis.... they found that my A/C compressor o-rings were leaking (while checking out the bubbling noise coming from my AC). They replaced the rings, recharged and rechecked the A/C and everything sounded fine again.

Then they turned their attention towards the "tunnelling noise" and couldn't find it. Sure enough, I listened closely when I picked it up and it is gone! :thumbup:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
asb2002 said:
The diagnosis.... they found that my A/C compressor o-rings were leaking (while checking out the bubbling noise coming from my AC). They replaced the rings, recharged and rechecked the A/C and everything sounded fine again.

Then they turned their attention towards the "tunnelling noise" and couldn't find it. Sure enough, I listened closely when I picked it up and it is gone! :thumbup:
congrats on fixing the noise.. my 00 steering is wonderul like yours.. I too had a 01 loaner and the steering was like night and day!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts