BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the F07 section...

Our family has owned our 2012 550 GT since December of 2015. I'd say ever since the May timeframe I've noticed that the oil temp gauge has been close to the middle, right around 240*F as pictured. However, since we've owned this car it's almost always been between at the 1/4 and 1/2 mark. Should I be worried?

I also have a 2009 F01 and oil temp is always dead center between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I posted this in the F07 section...

Our family has owned our 2012 550 GT since December of 2015. I'd say ever since the May timeframe I've noticed that the oil temp gauge has been close to the middle, right around 240*F as pictured. However, since we've owned this car it's almost always been between at the 1/4 and 1/2 mark. Should I be worried?

I also have a 2009 F01 and oil temp is always dead center between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark.
What would you worry about?

The thermostat (of the cooling system) is controlled in a way that it keeps the engine hotter (230F) when driven lightly (economic mode, since the fuel consumption is better with a hotter engine) but once the car is driven hard the opening temperature of the thermostat gets as low as 180 - 190F but due to the increased load the engine temperature will be higher than that - in the 230F region. Also your car has an additional oil cooler.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would you worry about?
Given that the first few months of owning this vehicle the temp was X, and now it's X+Y. What changed other than the weather temp to cause this is why i was asking. Even in cooler weather conditions, the temp gauge is still around the 240*F mark.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Given that the first few months of owning this vehicle the temp was X, and now it's X+Y. What changed other than the weather temp to cause this is why i was asking. Even in cooler weather conditions, the temp gauge is still around the 240*F mark.
I see.
One thing you can check if there is any blockage to the air flow in front of the radiators. Like leaves or debris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts