BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
E30's,Work,Eat,Sleep
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving.. then all of a sudden the dash board lights and guages went dead... but the rest of the electronics in the car worked... i pulled off the road and tried to restart it... it didnt restart... but all the electronics in the car still worked except for the dash board lights.... I had to compression start car and that started it but dash lights still didnt come on.

·
Straight Bimmin
1,060 Posts
I was driving.. then all of a sudden the dash board lights and guages went dead... but the rest of the electronics in the car worked... i pulled off the road and tried to restart it... it didnt restart... but all the electronics in the car still worked except for the dash board lights.... I had to compression start car and that started it but dash lights still didnt come on.
Check all your fuses and relays

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
If the lights are out they must not be getting power. I had this happen and was constantly blowing teh fuse when I hit a bump. One day installing new RCA cables on my amp I noticed a wire the stereo installer cut and left. It was bouncing on the radio case and popping fuse 30 I wanna say.

·
Git
324 Posts
Did the engine quit running when the dash lights went out??
Does the car start w/o difficulty at this time?

If you have a no start condition, I would start by cleaning the battery terminals, recharge the battery, then put a volt meter on the alternator power stud(looking for 13v minimum) if the car does start and idle..

If it starts, do the same to the battery and alternator, plus fiddle with the dimmer controls to wipe clean the potentiometer contacts.

m

·
On Top
8,772 Posts
Why don't you check your main cable that runs from the battery tray to the starter and the connection to the starter and alt. If you are having low-no power (12v+), and now a no start at all ( not even a relay "click") sounds like you're not getting a solid 12v power source. This would coincide with all the fuses being normal and having no lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.