BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire Rack... free shipping, and free 2 year road hazard. They get pretty good reviews on the TR site. All four just under 300 bux.... Ultra Hi performance all seasons... Pretty much drive the speed limit and as far as weather, really only rain. The tires will get old before they wear out, as I only use the car once or twice a week for local use. They will be mounted on the set of Style 5's I just picked up for a great deal..

235/45/ZR17

Attachments

·
Registered
10,704 Posts
Those don't look like any all-seasons tires I've even seen. All-seasons normally have a lot of little sipes cut into the tread blocks. They cause the tread blocks to easily bend. The bending causes an edge of the tread block to dig into the snow or mud. Those sipes also limit dry-pavement performance, though.

TireRack.com confirms that Reiken makes two versions of that tire, Summer and All-Seasons, and they have the same tread pattern, but different compounds. The website says "...with capability in inclement weather, even in very light snow."

If it's snowing, take the other car.

It you don't see snow, yeah, that's a screaming deal. The last time I paid $300 for four tires was back in the early 1990's, and that was for 14" tires that were overstocked (OE spec' Dunlop's for a B13 Nissan Sentra SE-R). That car was critical success (made Car and Driver's Top Ten List every year it was in production), but Nissan couldn't give them away. So, the same thing happened with the OE spec' tires.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, they look pretty "summer like" to me too.... but like I said, car will probably never see snow and only occasional rain.... figured I couldn't go wrong. My ZR-1 rear tires are around $360./each...:yikes:

When I get them mounted up Ill give an update on how they are working out, and Ill leave a review on Tire Rack also..

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Let us know what you think of them. And please, don't be that person that never buys anything bad. I've bought tons of crap products in my life and am not too proud to say so. Some people just can't admit it.

If they're bad then let us know. If they're great, let us know that too.

I agonize whey I buy tires. The last set of Conti DWS06 that I put on my E39 were horrible. I'm now riding in Michelins and much happier.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let us know what you think of them. And please, don't be that person that never buys anything bad. I've bought tons of crap products in my life and am not too proud to say so. Some people just can't admit it.

If they're bad then let us know. If they're great, let us know that too.

I agonize whey I buy tires. The last set of Conti DWS06 that I put on my E39 were horrible. I'm now riding in Michelins and much happier.
Naah, if they suck, Ill be sure to say so. I think for dry weather they'll be ok, some of the reviews said they werent very happy with wet traction... but who knows how hard theyre pushing the car? I tend to slow down in rainy, wet conditions...

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Would it have killed you to actually tell us what BRAND AND MODEL TIRE you bought?
JFC

·
Registered
08,535XI
242 Posts
I read that all v tread tires will sound like bad wheel bearing hum when they get older.

I bought a set of Nankangs V tread tires for summer on my Pontiac. I couldn't figure out the hum and replaced my rear bearings. Hum still there.
Bought some Coopers Ultra touring and noise gone.

So yeah there is some truth on the Internet....go figure.

·
Registered
10,704 Posts
I had Michelin Pilot Sports (PS's, not PS2's or PSS's) on my E46 M3. They were '"V" tread pattern, directional tires. Yeah, they would roar like a bad wheel bearing when worn down.

You can tell a bad wheel bearing from a noisy tire because the bearing's noise will be louder in a turn.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Nice find. I have learned my lesson on price shopping for tires and have come to the conclusion you get what you pay for. There is a noticeable and discerning difference in ride, quality and handling of Michelin's vs. every other brand, but you pay a premium. I chased the E38 shimmy for years, replacing control arms, bushing, etc. I gave up. Then when it was tire time, I went for Michelin's and the shimmy was gone and the car felt like a dream at high speeds. I'll never put anything else on.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice find. I have learned my lesson on price shopping for tires and have come to the conclusion you get what you pay for. There is a noticeable and discerning difference in ride, quality and handling of Michelin's vs. every other brand, but you pay a premium. I chased the E38 shimmy for years, replacing control arms, bushing, etc. I gave up. Then when it was tire time, I went for Michelin's and the shimmy was gone and the car felt like a dream at high speeds. I'll never put anything else on.
I hear ya... and I know exactly what you mean about quality vs price.... Im pretty lucky in that I have a company truck for work and my wife drives a 2017 Silverado for her work.... so the BMW maybe sees 30-40 miles per week... This time around I wanted the Style 5 wheels I bought and thats where much of my tire money budget went to... :)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Those tires say "All Season"
but have the identical tread pattern of the Ultra High Performance Summer tire.
It also has the same wear rating of 300, which implies a sort summer rubber.
Those are summer tire tread

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doesn't matter much... car wont see snow and rain is scarce here anyway... I don't know how they decipher the difference.... Got them mounted up today... gonna get them on after I clean the brake dust and grime off the barrels and see how they feel...

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Tread pattern doesn't really matter. What is important is the rubber compound.

·
Registered
10,704 Posts
Tread pattern doesn't really matter. What is important is the rubber compound.
It's both. Those little cuts in the tread blocks cause the blocks to bend, which makes an edge of the block dig into the mud and snow. If the tread patterns weren't important, winter tires would work as well with 2/32nds inch of tread as they did with 10/32nds inch of tread. They don't.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought a set last summer for the touring and found out after the install that 3 of them were out of round. TireRack was kind enough to take them back and I subsequently bought a set of Michelin Pilots for a super smooth ride but at more than double the price. I really wanted to like the Riken's. I hope they turn out well for you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts