BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Not heading for an E46 M3

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mr. The Edge 
#1 ·
So I needed new rear pads and rotors for my car and while I realize I can do it myself, I take it to my dealer. My maintenance is up, so this is the first brake job I have to pay for They want about $360 for new rear pads and rotors on my E46 328i. Sounds reasonable to me.

Anyway, my service advisor pulls out his price list and we both peruse the cost of an E46 M3 rear brake job. With labor, it runs $819 with close to $600 of it in parts!!!!

Needless to say that enlightened me to not make the E46 M3 an option for my next car. As much as I love it's styling and performance, for my primary vehicle, I really don't want to deal with the maintenance costs (brakes, tires, clutches, SMG problems, etc) if the brake job is representative.

Am I psycho for thinking this????:tsk:

#2 ·
Dave,

I agree with you, but the in this case, it's not the labor that's ridiculous, it's the parts. The parts for an E46 328i are only $218 or so. Pads and rotors. $600 for an M3?????

Even if you had someone else do it, that's ridiculous for rear pads and rotors. Remember, that's only 1/2 of the pads and rotors you need. It wouldn't shock me if the fronts were even more.

#3 ·
VDPHB said:
Dave,

I agree with you, but the in this case, it's not the labor that's ridiculous, it's the parts. The parts for an E46 328i are only $218 or so. Pads and rotors. $600 for an M3?????

Even if you had someone else do it, that's ridiculous for rear pads and rotors. Remember, that's only 1/2 of the pads and rotors you need. It wouldn't shock me if the fronts were even more.
You can get a full set (4) of Euro cross-drilled rotors (no pads mind you, but still) for under $700

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.