BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BMW = Fahrvergnügen
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along with a few other things I needed to get from Tischer, I picked up one of those shift levers. You know, the one that's in the BMW performance shift kit with the ZHP knob and the alcantara boot? I just ordered the lever, the securing clip and the bearing cup.

I tore it all apart today as part of my "let's clean up the last of the damage caused by the previous owner" day; rewired the power mirrors that he just chopped off to install some really bad aftermarket mirrors. Having power mirrors for the first time since I bought the car was quite exciting.

Anyhoo, I pull the whole thing apart, struggle for 25min getting the stupid shifter bearing to rotate so I can pull it out of the carrier and finally get the old lever out. Because I wanted to compare the levers, I laid them next to each other. The new rod and the old rod are the same length from the ball to the tip (I know, I know...that's what she said), but the new "short" rod is longer from the ball to the bushing on the bottom. So, the new shifter is actually longer and has incorrect geometry.

I researched this whole thing ad nauseum. It seems kind of odd to me that I'd miss something like that in reading crap for months. Digging around now, I may have ordered one for an M3 (actually for a Euro 330d, but it's an upgrade for the M3 shifter). That would explain the different geometry given that it's a completely different transmission and likely a different shift arm.

I ordered a 25117527259 from Tischer, which is listed as an "ECE SHIFT LEVER." Looks like I may have wanted a 25117527257 (simply "SHIFT LEVER) instead. I'm now basing this on the picture of the BMW Performance Short Shift Kit I found on ECS Tuning's website here.

Can anyone confirm that I want the 7 shifter instead and that the 9 shifter is the right one for a 2002 325Ci? I'd like to get the right one some time. I don't really feel too bad about it; it was only $55, so it's not the worst thing in the world.

Further, anyone want the 9 shifter? You can have it for cheap if you need it. It's too late to send it back to Tischer now.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The 25117527259 is the E46 M3 BMW Performance short shift lever included in the M3 specific SSK (same as euro 330d). This is not going to work in anything but the M3's unfortunately.

Part # 25117527257 is the correct short shift lever included in the 325Ci BMW Perf SSK (for vehicles up to 3/03) that will work in your vehicle.

If you ever have questions, feel free to email us at [email protected], or PM us on this forum.....we are here to help! :)

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
The reason it has shorter throws is because it is longer from the ball down. This allows the upper part to move less while the part below the ball moves more. It is right, install and enjoy

·
BMW = Fahrvergnügen
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 25117527259 is the E46 M3 BMW Performance short shift lever included in the M3 specific SSK (same as euro 330d). This is not going to work in anything but the M3's unfortunately.

Part # 25117527257 is the correct short shift lever included in the 325Ci BMW Perf SSK (for vehicles up to 3/03) that will work in your vehicle.

If you ever have questions, feel free to email us at [email protected], or PM us on this forum.....we are here to help! :)
Upon digging, I discovered this. Thanks for confirming it.

The reason it has shorter throws is because it is longer from the ball down. This allows the upper part to move less while the part below the ball moves more. It is right, install and enjoy
I agree with the physics of this except for one thing: since the point where the shift arm connects to the lever would be about 3/4" below where it was before. That would no longer put it in line with the transmission, always attacking it at an angle. I'd worry about it binding or worse.

All of this said, anybody with an M3 that wants it can have it. Just PM me. It's not doing anything now besides taking up space on my shelf. I'll probably order a 7 lever at some point. Price you pay not triple checking your facts, I guess.

...unless the kind folks at Tischer want to spare me some pity and will work something out... ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts