BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

Unfortunately more issue.. From 3 days ago, my car refuses to start when it feels like it. Basically when you turn the key to crank, there is no response.. like dead!!! However all dashboard lights are ON, windows work. etc. I can't even hear the solenoid of the starter motor engaging.. or the starter motor running.

So to resolve identify this problem I tapped the solnoid power line and kept it to see if there is power.. and surprisingly there is power. Can anyone think of what the problem might be? other than a faulty starter motor.

Few thing to keep in mind

1). Battery is new (2 month old)
2). power from the ignition switch comes (so not a key identification problem)
3). 12V Power is present on the wire to solnoid
4). there are no error/ fault codes

I'll be so disappointed with BMW if it ends up being my starter motor, and it couldn't throw am error code. THe reason I find it difficult to believe its the starter motor is, shouldn't the solenoid or the motor make some sort of noise if either is busted. The chances of the soleloid and the starter motor packing up at the same time is so remote right?

Any help pls

Thanks
Vam

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is your steering wheel locked when you try starting it?
Funny as it is, that happens to me sometimes. Try taking the key out, turning the wheel till the steering wheel locks, and try it again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried that, no difference. More I think about it, more I think its an issue with the Starter motor. Still looking :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know, if the ignition gets cut out completely for some other issue.. e.g. faulty fuel pump, malfunctioning sensors etc ???

·
Registered
17 Posts
do you hear a clicking noise when you are trying to start the car? Sometimes you get a bad spot on the armiture of the starter and even though you are getting power to the starter it wont turn over. One way to check this is to tap on the starter while someone holds the ignition in the start position. These can be intermittent due to the fact that the starter doesn't always stop in the same position. Hope this was some help.

·
Registered
824 Posts
hmmmm.. my car did that for a full day.. all lights showing, all the signs and died at the end of the day. turned out to be the battery but then again, i'd spent the day playing mechanic DIYing!!:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I don't hear anything.. I can't hear even the solenoid of the starter motor working. It like you trying to start without a battery. I can hear the engine management computer, but thats it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering if you found out what the problem was? Mine did this today and I had to have it towed home. I reset the keys and still nothing. The battery is fully charged and everything comes on but the engine.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
It could be alot of things from the neutral saftey switch on a stickshift to the park/neutral switch on the automatics, to a security issue. Hard to really diag that remotely.

·
Registered
29 Posts
clutch stop?

after i installed an aftermarket clutch stop, apparently it was at a different height than the original, and some switch was was not being engaged that allowed the car to start. turn key=nothing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is it me, or does this problem seem to be coming up more often. Mine just started doing this a week ago and I haven't figured out how to duplicate it yet.

Dealer couldn't find any fault codes either.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Was a common problem on old pontiacs and chevy cars that were made in the mid 70's to the early 80's and surfaced in the mid to late 80's. As the switches aged the cars wouldnt start. Required either replacing the switch on the shifter in the console or column or it was the ignition switch on the column. Either of the switches cause them not to crank. The bmw's have the same possible problems those cars had PLUS all the new electronic anti theft stuff on top of that. Dont really find it suprising that it should start occuring now on the bmw's.

Also Ive seen some cars have a bad run of switches. Fords have more recalls than you could imagine for headlight switches catching fire and the dimmer switches overheating to the point of being a fire hazard too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If the selenoid does not click it means it has no power or the selenoid itself has failed. I would check if the power designated for the selenoid is live when your key is at start position (not the starter power as the actual starter motor has seperate power supply directly from battery).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts