BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a 330i PP, SP, CWP, Step, XH. The only two things missing are the Nav system and the park dist control. I don't really parallel park enough to make the PDC worth it. But I find myself wondering if I should get the Nav.

For the most part, I do very well with getting places. I will use maps or get directions from a service like Expedia or Mapquest. I don't think I "need" the Nav. But I find myself still contemplating it. Before, when it only came with a tape, there was no way I'd get it. Now that it comes with a CD...

Is the $1640 (invoice) worth it? Especially when it looks like a Nav for me will be more of a toy than a tool? Here's my criteria for a system in the car:

Must have in-dash CD (I don't want a changer)
Must be able to hook up my XM radio, either thru an aux-in (preferred) or the CD changer adapter. (No FM modulator)

Let the opinions begin!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
My $0.02...

I was on the fence about the NAV until I heard that is was going to be DVD instead of the old CD system. Most of my driving is a straight shot from home to work and back day in and day out, but you never know when you might want to use it. :dunno:

My Dad and I drive down to Kentucky Speedway several times a year and we also go to Indy for the F1 race. There have been several times when we have used the system in his 2001 330Ci b/c we wanted to find a business or we happened to get sidetracked at night. :thumbup:

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Get the Nav. It's firmly in my "how did I ever get along without this?" column, along with my Dish PVR (TiVo-like device).

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
This is my second car with Nav and its now like any of the other things you wouldn't buy a car without.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
If you're already having a hard decision whether to go with or without, you should probably get it.

If you don't get it now, 6 months from now, you'll be posting here about whether you can retrofit it. My guess would be Xenons are probably the #1 "wish I got it" item, followed by probably sport package, and then nav.

Once you drive a car with nav, you'll never want to be without it. I can't live without mine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree...

with the posted replies....
I had the same thoughts...more of a toy than a necessity! But what the hell...that is why we all buy the cars! Plus if you are on the fence, then you can probably afford the extra $$ and would regret it later...Go For It!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get both.

I hardly ever parallel park but I've found the PDC useful just in normal parking lots and garages. It's nice to *know* that you're really getting close to a car or wall. The way I figure it, if the PDC saves you from one bump, it's probably paid for itself. On the other hand, my wife hates cars that beep at her so your mileage may vary. Every car I buy is going to have it on it if I can help it.

As far as the NAV goes, I'll be able to tell you more in a few weeks after I get mine and use it :D but I like to think of the NAV not as a computerized map but rather a computerized database.

Where can I get some gas? What and where are the nearby restaurants? How do I get back to my hotel? Where is my #$(*&$ hotel? Etc.

Good luck.

- Ray

·
Registered
362 Posts
Definitely get BOTH

The PDC is something that will save your butt in many situation, even if you never parallel park. It is only $320 (invoice) and that is FAR less expensive than the one time you accidentally back into something over the life of your ownership. It is a great insurance policy that is really inexpensive when you weigh the odds.

As for the Navi, I can't see how this is a question in anyone's mind these days. It is an absolute must, in your own town, and if you ever travel at all, especially with the DVD that covers the country. You will definitely regret not getting the Navi, and will pay much more to retrofit later.

·
Registered
131 Posts
OBS3SSION said:
For the most part, I do very well with getting places. I will use maps or get directions from a service like Expedia or Mapquest. I don't think I "need" the Nav. But I find myself still contemplating it.
MapQuest and the like are great if you're sitting at your computer planning a trip. The drawbacks are that if you get off the planned route, you may be in trouble; and if you want to go somewhere spontaneously, you need access to a computer and printer.

I had a Garmin eMap mounted on the dash of my last car. The eMap can't do on-the-fly routing, but even with that limitation it was very handy. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was at an auto parts store to buy a part for my wife's car. They didn't have it. So I looked up "nearby auto parts stores" on the eMap, got the phone number of one close by (the database includes address and phone number), called them to make sure they had the part, then followed the arrow to drive to it.

I actually started looking at BMWs because they were one of the few cars I could find in late 2001 that had a built-in navigation system and a manual transmission. Silly reason to choose a car, especially with all the very good aftermarket nav systems out there.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
I got it, I love it, and of course i would tell you to get it. But if you want XM, there might be a problem.

You have to have a certain CD changer for the navigation system. Im not an XM buff, but i think i read that this changer will not work for XM. Im not sure though. But if it works with aux adapter, then why not..

·
-
643 Posts
alee said:
If you don't get it now, 6 months from now, you'll be posting here about whether you can retrofit it. My guess would be Xenons are probably the #1 "wish I got it" item, followed by probably sport package, and then nav.
This begs the question "Can I add Nav to my no-Nav 330Ci?"

I didn't get Nav because I didn't think I would use it. But I could see that if a few years the technology is maybe twice as good for half the price.

What are the possiblilities. Can I add BMW Nav after the fact? What other brands are there?

Matt

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
You could add navigation, at a cost of about 2x what it would have cost for you to get it from the factory. And the fact that you'd have to do it yourself, build harnesses, etc.

Navigation Retrofit

There are, of course, other aftermarket solutions, but since the BMW navigation system is tightly integrated with the car, you will find that the factory system does much better at dead reckoning (interpolated positioning based off of current speed, steering angle, etc. when satellites are out of range).

·
Registered
131 Posts
alee said:
There are, of course, other aftermarket solutions, but since the BMW navigation system is tightly integrated with the car, you will find that the factory system does much better at dead reckoning (interpolated positioning based off of current speed, steering angle, etc. when satellites are out of range).
Also the BMW system allows you to control the radio, see the on-board computer, etc. The aftermarket systems are generally purely for navigation. And there's also the question of how well they visually integrate with the rest of the car.

For dead reckoning, I think that the BMW system gets wheel/steering data, but many of the aftermarket systems have inertial sensors which also do a pretty good job for short periods of satellite blackout.

All that said, some of the aftermarket systems are really nice, with remote controls, built-in DVD players, touch screens, very good ease-of-use, etc. Have a look at CarNav for a sample.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
bls said:
All that said, some of the aftermarket systems are really nice, with remote controls, built-in DVD players, touch screens, very good ease-of-use, etc. Have a look at CarNav for a sample.
Bingo... :thumbup: I agree with you bls. I didn't have NAV in my 2000 323i, but I found that even a simple Garman GPS system was very helpful during trips. Sits perfectly on the dash, but has a stable bases... Easily hidden... Can take it into a hotel and search for addresses or plan your route... If you have no built in Nav, go for a good aftermarket system.

·
M Mad
10,479 Posts
The BMW Nav is pretty crude as navs go. The Japanese have a MUCH better handle on nav systems.

I did not go with the BMW, but bought a Garmin StreetPilot III. About $750 in the Deluxe package setup.

The reasons. Much better nav unit. The availability of more than one data set. Able to use it in more than one car. Ability to take it with me on a trip and use it in a rental car. MUCH cheaper.

The Garmin is not without warts, but better then the BMW unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I GOT IT, I LOVE IT!

I just got the 2003 NAV system. I would have never gotten it without the In-Dash CD player (2002 models), but let me tell you: who cares if it's not 100% helpful: it looks freakin' COOL! I had a 328i before my new 330ci, and it was also black interior. This was the only way the interior would have felt new and different. Plus, I'll most likely get the in-car phone, which works great with the NAv system... Honestly, I lost sleep over the decision to get Nav or not, and I am telling you, you will NOT regret it. It's the center of my attention, the heart of the car, everyone has a comment on it...It's great!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Re: I GOT IT, I LOVE IT!

fstubbe said:
I just got the 2003 NAV system. I would have never gotten it without the In-Dash CD player (2002 models), but let me tell you: who cares if it's not 100% helpful: it looks freakin' COOL! I had a 328i before my new 330ci, and it was also black interior. This was the only way the interior would have felt new and different. Plus, I'll most likely get the in-car phone, which works great with the NAv system... Honestly, I lost sleep over the decision to get Nav or not, and I am telling you, you will NOT regret it. It's the center of my attention, the heart of the car, everyone has a comment on it...It's great! Good luck!
Sweet! :thumbup: Thanks for the comments fstubbe. I also would not have gotten the Nav without the indash CD. That option as well as the change from CD to DVD format put me over the fence. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in the new wide screen format. My father has it in his 2001 330Ci but it has the thin screen. I only wish I had the DVD for my trip from South Carolina back to Ohio. :tsk:

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Waverz said:
would having an aftermarket detachable nav system be more prone to theft than the oem nav?
Yes. And IMHO, even the nicest, feature-laden slick pop-out bells and whistles dog and pony show aftermarket nav units look like shit compared to a built-in OEM unit. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts