BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the M Coupe out to Willow Springs... didnt have time to take any photos or videos :cry: but here are some of my thoughts plus some of the things that some more experienced drivers said...

it's very quick... able to outgun, outmanouever and outlast the E46M3's... with R compounds, this car will beat just about anything else out there. (the Conti's did get a little slippery when they got hot, but stayed predictable. Looking forward to replacing those at some point, but not sure about changing sizes yet... found the car pretty well balanced).

it's very confidence inspiring, easy to make mid corner corrections, and when you accelerate mid turn, the car just hunkers down and grabs the asphalt ... more drivable and planted than the M Roadster, very different to the E46M3, being lighter and shorter.

the brakes are a little grabby ... a little touchy ... maybe they could use more pedal throw, someone said. They work awesome though :yikes: . I locked up a couple of times, including once in a turn, but it was really no drama.

somebody had driven an M Coupe that BMW had out a couple of months ago (a press car, probably), and said that it was not as smooth as mine. Either the drivetrain has been refined or that car had been misused at some point, hmmm.

and the best comment from someone... wish I had bought this instead of the Lotus....

bottom line, this car LOVES the track, and hardly broke a sweat, even at 108 degrees. I must have drank a couple of dozen waters, tho'.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Did you happen to notice how high your oil temps got in the heat?? That is just too hot for me to go to the track!

How were your laptimes?:D

My M Coupe will go to the track... but it won't go ON it!! ;) :angel:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hans Delbruck said:
Did you happen to notice how high your oil temps got in the heat?? That is just too hot for me to go to the track!

oil temp never got more than a little past mid point.. so maybe 215/220. certainly nowhere close to even its max normal range. Generally I didnt do more than a half dozen hot laps at a time, plus I didnt push the engine too much yet. Just didnt need to... night and day compared to my E36 M3/Dinan S2 setup/R tires, that just needed harder driving all around to perform like that.

As for the temp for me, its never a bad day to be at the track :D
(actually with a light breeze and cloud cover most of the day, it was fine. I've had way hotter and DUSTIER days at Vegas and Phoenix tracks)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
whiskey.org said:
hell, e46 M3's can't hang with my 3.0 Z4 at thunderhill
I havent raced at Thunderhill, but the 3.0 Z4 felt underpowered to me after having an M3

for 2 years :dunno: Otherwise I wouldnt be ordering an Mcoupe and happily save the diff.

Is there quite a few twisties at Thunderhill ? clearly acceleration alone in a standard Z4 is

no match for the E46 M3. I would never believe that one :rofl: .

I am happy to hear of the mobility/cornering of the Mcoupe and am hoping it is a step up from my M3.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
it is underpowered compared to the M, but runs on the M like crazy on the corners.

I've really only been to thunderhill so I don't know how twisty it is as tracks go

you're going to love the M coupe though, all the power plus more handling abilities!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
whiskey.org said:
it is underpowered compared to the M, but runs on the M like crazy on the corners.

I've really only been to thunderhill so I don't know how twisty it is as tracks go

you're going to love the M coupe though, all the power plus more handling abilities!
That is so awsome ! I personally have loved the look of the Z4 since day 1 as well. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts