BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Northern Virginia Window Tinting?

I have a new E92 and would like to get the windows tinted.

Can anyone recommend a place in the area (I'm in Leesburg, VA) and also recommend a brand of tint? :dunno:

I've searched the forum, but I get a bit confused regarding the different tints.

I want to be within the law but I also want it to look good and protect my black leather.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a new E92 and would like to get the windows tinted.

Can anyone recommend a place in the area (I'm in Leesburg, VA) and also recommend a brand of tint? :dunno:

I've searched the forum, but I get a bit confused regarding the different tints.

I want to be within the law but I also want it to look good and protect my black leather.

Thanks in advance!
I had mine done several weeks ago by LA Tint in Manassas, they did a pretty good installation job using the Pinnacle Series ceramic film.

The bad news.... I recently noticed a vertical scratch :mad: on my driver's side window. I called them back and he said unfortunately they will not warranty scratches caused by the window or dirt that gets trapped in the window channel.

Do a search on window tint...you should find some more valuable information there.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think I'll schedule an appointment at their Sterling location and see what my options are.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had 5 cars done at LA Tint in Sterling. They are fantastic, especially at getting the tint to lay flat around the little dots on the edge of the back window. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

·
resident dj
201 Posts
Depends how dark you want it. I wanted mine pretty dark, so i got HP Solar Guard or something like that. I got 13% in he back and 22% in front. Remember though, the way it looks depends on the color of your car and interior. My car is white, so the tint looks super dark, just how i like it. Also, if you get the same tint all around, the back will look lighter.
I got the lighter tint on front windows, but it looks identical to the back, because dark tint in a back makes front tint look darker.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My E92 is Space Gray. I was thinking that I want all the windows to have a consistent tint, but I don't want it to look too dark.

·
resident dj
201 Posts
My E92 is Space Gray. I was thinking that I want all the windows to have a consistent tint, but I don't want it to look too dark.
Space Gray is darker, so you will have less contrast, which will make your tint look a little lighter.
Black interior would balance it out i guess. Go to a tint shop (make sure you go the one that has been recommended by more than 1 person).

I went to Alvin O's in San Diego and the guys there were incredibly cool. They gave me a tour of their shop, showed me the cars they are working on, pictures of cars they did, showed me bunch of tint stencils, explained the entire process and made some recommendations. They did not try to up-sell anything and even recommended a lighter tint than what I originally wanted (they explained the entire contrast concept and how it works on different cars). In my opinion great customer service like that is a sign of a legit shop that stands behind their work.

So my suggestion is to go to the shop and see what they have to offer and chose the one that works for you.

EDIT: Check out this thread right here. I am VERY glad that I did...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114749&highlight=tint+devil

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Space Gray is darker, so you will have less contrast, which will make your tint look a little lighter.
Black interior would balance it out i guess. Go to a tint shop (make sure you go the one that has been recommended by more than 1 person).

I went to Alvin O's in San Diego and the guys there were incredibly cool. They gave me a tour of their shop, showed me the cars they are working on, pictures of cars they did, showed me bunch of tint stencils, explained the entire process and made some recommendations. They did not try to up-sell anything and even recommended a lighter tint than what I originally wanted (they explained the entire contrast concept and how it works on different cars). In my opinion great customer service like that is a sign of a legit shop that stands behind their work.

So my suggestion is to go to the shop and see what they have to offer and chose the one that works for you.

EDIT: Check out this thread right here. I am VERY glad that I did...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114749&highlight=tint+devil
Wow!! That is scary. It looks like LA Tint here in Sterling is the place to go. I'll go there and see some samples and talk to them about what will work best and look best on my car with Space Gray and Black Leather.

It was 77 degrees today and the interior was very hot when I left work. Unfortunately I have to park outside at work. :cry:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've had 5 cars done at LA Tint in Sterling. They are fantastic, especially at getting the tint to lay flat around the little dots on the edge of the back window. I wouldn't go anywhere else.
So let me get this right it is possible to tint the back window and not have it look like crap? What's the secret? The dot matrix on my rear window looks terrible after the tint, going next week to see what can be done.

·
resident dj
201 Posts
So let me get this right it is possible to tint the back window and not have it look like crap? What's the secret? The dot matrix on my rear window looks terrible after the tint, going next week to see what can be done.
Yes, it is really hard to get dot matrix done right. I've seen some tint "jobs" where the film was cut not to overlap with dot matrix. It looked RETARDED!

Anyway, if your tint just got put on give it a week, it will get better. Then go back to the shop and they would go over those areas again to make it stick.
Mine did not look all that great when i picked the car up, but 24 hours later it is getting better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, it is really hard to get dot matrix done right. I've seen some tint "jobs" where the film was cut not to overlap with dot matrix. It looked RETARDED!

Anyway, if your tint just got put on give it a week, it will get better. Then go back to the shop and they would go over those areas again to make it stick.
Mine did not look all that great when i picked the car up, but 24 hours later it is getting better.
Ditto. If the job is done correctly, the tint should be flat around the dots within a day or two. If not, you should take it back to have them try again.

·
Officially Welcomed
188 Posts
Have you guys had any problems with radio reception. That is if you listen to the AM radio. I was told by my Center that I might have a hard time receiving AM stations if I tint my windows.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you guys had any problems with radio reception. That is if you listen to the AM radio. I was told by my Center that I might have a hard time receiving AM stations if I tint my windows.
From my understanding the non-metallized, ceramic film will not cause any problems with reception.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From my understanding the non-metallized, ceramic film will not cause any problems with reception.
That is an important factor for me. I mostly listen to Sirius, but I often listen to AM Sports Talk radio on the way home from work. I can't lose AM reception.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice and recommendations!!

I just stopped by LA Tint in Sterling and made an appointment for next week to have Pinnacle 35 installed. Hopefully they'll do as good a job on my car as they did for you guys. :)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
make sure they give you a warranty card with a tint roll # afterwards.
Thanks!! I will. Obviously I would not have known to do that. So that is good to know. :thumbup:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I got my Jetta done at LA Tint in Sterling two years ago. The initial quality was flawless. To this day, there has been no separation or change in color; looks like it did the day it was done.

The guys there were kind of assholes about it. When I went in to inspect their work I said it "looks pretty good." One of them snapped back, completely serious, "it looks great!" as though I'd insulted him by calling it just "good." But the work is what matters.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good window tint shop around the Annapolis, Maryland area? I see a few but I would really like some recommendations before I get work done.

Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts