BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a low, rough idle (around 400rpm +/-), CEL on and Peake reader codes OF3E and OF33 which are misfire cyl #5 and multiple/random misfire, this is what I've done;

1. New MAF
2. New Pre-Cat O2's
3. New Intake Manifold gasket
4. New Coil/boot for #5
5. New Spark plugs
6. Cleaned Throttle body
7. New fuel injector for #5 (today), thanks for the tip on a sharpened hanger for the clips
8. New oil separator
9. New CPS
10. Tested the CCV valve by covering the oil filler port (thanks for that tip too!)

Still have the same thing? I don't have an Idle Control Valve, I've checked everywhere for vacuum leaks and can't find any.

Recently I've replaced the battery, coolant and upper radiator hose, new theromostat, bank #2 valve cover gasket, new front brake pads and 2x ABS wheel speed sensors and brake wear sensor, 4x Michelin Pilot tires and new cup holder and hood emblem.

I still have a rough idle, but it passes emissions, little smoke on start and gets 21mpg combined driving. So apparently I've replaced alot of parts that were still good (as Nightkrawler has already pointed out) but it sounds and shakes at idle like a 1906 Ford Model-T.

What other things might I look at or try? I'm willing to try any suggestions and I'll be very grateful for the help.

Cheers,
Craig

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Wow...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune...

Here are the steps I'd try.
First run a spark check on each cyl...maybe one of your ignition coils is gone. Remove each coil one by one until you discover which one didn't make a difference...if they all make a difference then....run a compression check for each cylinder if they are all within tolerances, Get some Carb cleaner and Run your motor up...say to 3k, and start spraying Carb cleaner all over your intake...from the Throttle body everywhere, if you find the motor stumbles when you get near a certain point - that point is a source of a vacuum leak. If you find that it doesn't leak at all or there is no difference...report back...I am sure others have some ideas too... GL and DAMN

·
Registered
637 Posts
check the gasket where the throttle body meets the intake manifold. get a gallon jug of water and slowly pour it around the area. listen for sucking/gurgling noise.

·
Registered
126 Posts
agree with gsxryder, check your sparker coils. if one is bad you may as well upgrade with bavauto's performance set. they're much less than a stock set and supposed to make quite a difference. or you could just replace the one bad one with a factory coil. i'd look there though.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Sorry I didn't explain my logic

First if the motor stumbles it is a sign of an ignition or fuel problem. Most likely is the ignition system since there are a lot of 'consumables' there. Plugs, coils, wires, etc...Next could be a vacuum leak which the carb cleaner will help you detect...by spraying the carb cleaner in and around the intake you will begin to feel it hesitate worse and it will generally run like crap...that is the area of your leak and the reason it stumbles...You know as I thought about your ignition problem you could do it with no cost...take two coils and swap them if it makes no difference take one of the 'good' ones and continue to swap until you find the bad coil...there is a reason and I don't want to see or hear of you 'throwing' $$$ at it to resolve an issue that someone is guessing at.... <that shadetree mechanic stuff throwing money at a problem you aren't sure exists is BS in my book...

GL and let us know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts