Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Certified humanoid
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently purchased a 2003 530i with about 130k miles on it.

Whenever I'm getting gas at the gas station the nozzle shuts off every 1/4 - 1/2 gal or so, which obviously is quite frustrating. This both adds to how long it takes and makes it difficult to not accidentally top-off or leave with a not-quite-full tank. This happens at all of the 10+ gas stations I've tried, and never with my other car.

I've had my mechanic look at it and he checked the canister and blew through the EVAP tubes with air, but other than that he didn't have any other ideas of what to try.

While this isn't a huge deal, it certainly makes it feel like I'm walking with a little pebble in my shoe :(

If there are previous threads like this, forgive me and I'll gladly take links to them as I was unable to find anything while searching.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I had that happen to my X5 before a few times. I then read somewhere about the angle of the pump nozzle into the tank. I think I remember reading about certain models having an issue with this (I don't think my model was one of them). I now do not put the pump nozzle all the way into the fuel tank opening. I put it about half way in. Solved the problem. Worth a try.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I always hold the handle of the pump so it is towards the rear of the car, not that it should make a difference, never had a problem.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,461 Posts
OPie likely has a problem with fuel tank vent line causing filled fuel to back up in the filling line and triggering the Venturi nozzle shutoff.

·
Certified humanoid
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I've tried all kinds of angles and pulling the nozzle out a bit, none of it makes any difference.

At this point it shuts off every 15-20s when pumping as slowly as it possibly can (manually holding it and just barely engaging it).

Last night I noticed that I do get some gurgling sound from the filler tube which makes me think there's an obstruction somewhere, or would an EVAP issue behave similarly? (ironically my other car had EVAP venting issues, but that didn't manifest in any refueling issues)

Anyone have any advice on where to start looking?
Thanks!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,461 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I've tried all kinds of angles and pulling the nozzle out a bit, none of it makes any difference.

At this point it shuts off every 15-20s when pumping as slowly as it possibly can (manually holding it and just barely engaging it).

Last night I noticed that I do get some gurgling sound from the filler tube which makes me think there's an obstruction somewhere, or would an EVAP issue behave similarly? (ironically my other car had EVAP venting issues, but that didn't manifest in any refueling issues)

Anyone have any advice on where to start looking?
Thanks!
If I got your car right, I’m stunned (stunned I say) to see that your fuel filler stuff is exposed.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...16-11-fuel-tank-with-fuel-filler-pipe/C7rXDfU

·
Certified humanoid
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I got your car right, I’m stunned (stunned I say) to see that your fuel filler stuff is exposed.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...16-11-fuel-tank-with-fuel-filler-pipe/C7rXDfU
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, you misunderstanding me or if we're both lost in a sea of misunderstandings.

I'm not a native speaker so I'm probably the one not being clear enough. The filler tube is not exposed, the gurgling that I hear comes from the opening where the gas nozzle goes. While not a strange sound on its own, it just makes me think it's flowing unusually slowly.

Also, thank you for taking time and responding.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Not sure, the e39 has an elaborate system to prevent gas from escaping in thin air through the pipe, not sure how it works but might have something to do with that.

·
Certified humanoid
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure, the e39 has an elaborate system to prevent gas from escaping in thin air through the pipe, not sure how it works but might have something to do with that.
My understanding is that would be the EVAP system. It traps gas fumes from the gas tank and filters it through an active charcoal canister and then mixes it with fuel and burns it in the engine. The thing is that my mechanic checked the charcoal canister, which can get filled with fuel when topping off, but it looked fine. He also checked the vent tubes and didn't see anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts