Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2294652

Well, if you can't beat 'em, steal from them! The Jets hired New England defensive coordinator, Eric Mangini, to be the next HC of the NYJ. Mangini is 34 years old. My guess is that he'll be the only coach from the school of Parcells-Belichick to become an utter failure when venturing out on his own....and that's because we're the Jets....and those kinds of things happen to us. :(

·
meroglot
12,906 Posts
I wish him the best, but 1 year as a DC does not make a good head coach candidate, IMO. Seems like desperation on the Jets part.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
330Cane said:
I wish him the best, but 1 year as a DC does not make a good head coach candidate, IMO. Seems like desperation on the Jets part.
I don't think its desperation. I think they are taking a chance. Hiring a guy like Tice, Fassel or Mariucci would get you experience but there is limited upside with retreads. Mangini has been waiting in the wings behind RAC (who became Cleveland HC this past season) for years and years. Eric is considered one of the best young minds in football. Since the Jets are an aging, injured bunch coming off a 4-12 season, we are clearly rebuilding and could withstand one season of a coach feeling his way through his first year as HC. I think they are taking a shot at possible greatness with higher risk of failure rather than taking a known quantity.

The Parcells-Belichick breed has spawned excellent coaches over the years including Charlie Weiss, the aforementioned Romeo Crennel and now, hopefully Mangini. Think back to the Bill Walsh years with the 49ers and then the Holmgren years in Green Bay. Did you ever see a team photo of those coaching staffs? Imagine having coordinator and position coaches like Andy Reid, Steve Mariucci, John Gruden, Mike Shanahan....most of those guys were on the same coaching staff at the same time and all have gone on to success as head coaches. The Jets are counting on the pedigree here and pulling a piece of fruit off the family tree.

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
IMO talent outweighs experience, Eric will do just fine, provided he is able to hire great assistants, and they can rebuild that offense.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,868 Posts

·
Casey!
17,654 Posts
Pvt. Joker said:
Wait until they lose a few games and the NY press turns on him. :rofl:
Ya think it will take that long?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
hockeynut said:
Week 2 2006 season:eek:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hockeynut said:

Agreed. It won't last long but it certainly will last longer than if Tice or Haslett or Fassel was hired. Mangini will get a pass for a little while but you're right....not long in NY.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts