BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The competition for the coolest/whackiest avatar for BimmerFest.com has begun.
All submissions should be moderate in size; I don't know how many pixels mine is,
but you can use it for reference. While I am gone on vacation get busy
and get creative. When I get back, we'll have a vote, and the top (5)
finishers will be awarded a permanent avatar.

Only non-animated .gif or .jpg format images will be admitted.

BimmerFest.com is all about Information and Entertainment.

Let's get it going!!!
:D

Please post/attach your entries directly to this thread.

Carry on.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Jon Shafer said:
The competition for the coolest/whackiest avatar for BimmerFest.com has begun.
All submissions should be moderate in size; I don't know how many pixels mine is,
but you can use it for reference. While I am gone on vacation get busy

Only non-animated .gif or .jpg format images will be admitted.

BimmerFest.com is all about Information and Entertainment.

Let's get it going!!!

Please post/attach your entries directly to this thread.

Carry on.
Ummmm...at the risk of being a real nuisance, is there a (good) reason why we're not going with animated avatars, like system performance degradation? Nothing against your avatar Jon (it's very, very nice, I must say), but the funny/cool ones are animated!

:)

·
5,820 Posts
Re: Re: O.k. - you asked for it!

hts said:

Ummmm...at the risk of being a real nuisance, is there a (good) reason why we're not going with animated avatars, like system performance degradation? Nothing against your avatar Jon (it's very, very nice, I must say), but the funny/cool ones are animated!

bandwidth? :dunno: troublemaker. ;)

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Re: Re: O.k. - you asked for it!

hts said:

Animated GIFs are guaranteed to drive people insane. I've seen a few tasteful and restrained ones, like Conrad's bouncing roundel over on the fanatics site, but they're the exception rather than the norm. Usually they're more frenetic, like Sabrina's dancing pink elephant. If I had to look at pages of those here, I'd either turn off my graphics somehow, or stop coming to the site.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Jon Shafer said:
While I am gone on vacation get busy
When do you get back? What's the deadline? :dunno:

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Re: Re: Re: O.k. - you asked for it!

Cliff3 said:

Animated GIFs are guaranteed to drive people insane. I've seen a few tasteful and restrained ones, like Conrad's bouncing roundel over on the fanatics site, but they're the exception rather than the norm. Usually they're more frenetic, like Sabrina's dancing pink elephant. If I had to look at pages of those here, I'd either turn off my graphics somehow, or stop coming to the site.
I guess I'm not all *that* (credit to TD) familiar with avatars as some of you. Nevertheless, I am quite familiar with the 'turn off avatar' feature.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: O.k. - you asked for it!

hts said:

Nevertheless, I am quite familiar with the 'turn off avatar' feature.

Yup. Not much point in having them at all then, is there?

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: O.k. - you asked for it!

Cliff3 said:

Yup. Not much point in having them at all then, is there?
I couldn't help but notice that you've got a fair-sized sig pic (nice car, BTW). Do you have sigs turned off as well then?

For most of us with cable modems, T-1/T-3, etc. service, I don't think that sigs and avatars are going to have any sort of performance degradation on our end (I have no idea what avatars might do the server's performance, but it looks to me that they're relatively small files).

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I have dialup at home and brother....it's slow!
26400 is te best connect rate I can get. And no there is no high speed connection available.

·
5,820 Posts
in_d_haus said:
I have dialup at home and brother....it's slow!
26400 is te best connect rate I can get. And no there is no high speed connection available.
ugh, I feel for you.

·
Registered
760 Posts

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: O.k. - you asked for it!

hts said:

I couldn't help but notice that you've got a fair-sized sig pic (nice car, BTW). Do you have sigs turned off as well then?

For most of us with cable modems, T-1/T-3, etc. service, I don't think that sigs and avatars are going to have any sort of performance degradation on our end (I have no idea what avatars might do the server's performance, but it looks to me that they're relatively small files).
My sig is a 23k jpeg file that is 462x200 pixels. That's a fairly unremarkable file. I have a cable modem at home. I'm not sure what we've got at work, I'm not in operations. T-1 or better for sure, but the specific details aren't all that important to me.

I'm not worried about bandwidth. I'm worried about massively annoying animated sh!t that will likely drive me nuts.

(and thanks for the car compliment)

·
In a ton of debt...
1,837 Posts
TD said:
I am an accountant. Creativity is frowned upon in accounting.

I'm sitting this one out.
Really?

EBITDA - Earnings Before I Tricked Dumb Auditors
EBIT - Earnings Before Irregulatiries & Tampering
CEO - Chief Embezzlement Officer
CFO - Corporate Fraud Officer
NAV - Normal Anderson Valuation
EPS - Eventual Prison Sentece

;)

·
5,820 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: O.k. - you asked for it!

Cliff3 said:

I'm not worried about bandwidth. I'm worried about massively annoying animated sh!t that will likely drive me nuts.

This is why I turned off sigs.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts