Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

For my 2001 325 CI,
I noticed a low coolant indicator light, opened the coolant cap and there was an O-ring that seemed to have been dropped in the tank. Not sure if it came from the bottom of the tank or the cap that covers it. I assumed the latter and took it out and secured it around one of the grooves in the cap.

Was that correct? If it was from the bottom, does anyone have any diagrams to show where it should be attached?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
With the low coolant light on, is there evidence of leaking, perhaps from the cap where you replaced the o-ring? If the o-ring was from the bottom of the tank, you would have been leaking really fast. To answer your question, there are two 0-rings in the two bottom inlets that fit over the side-by-side male connections. Hard to imagine an o-ring from that location could just "come loose" in the tank. Easy to image someone dropped an extra o-ring in the tank during manufacture and you just found it now. But check for leaks because it was low somehow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Before finding the O-ring, I did fill it up with coolant until the float indicator was back where it should be, then it stayed the same overnight. But after driving a few miles it seemed to have reduced again. Saw a bit of liquid on the ground but I imagine that was from me pouring coolant without a funnel and spilling over around it. I could be wrong.

Overall, the float indicator stays where it is if I don't drive it.

What concerns me is I'm unable to find any diagrams on the web that show where exactly these rings should be placed around the tank. (I saw you mentioned the bottom location but I find it easier with a picture).

thanks

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts