Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I got the dash warning light, service engine soon. Autozone read the code P0050, oxygen sensor, bank 2, sensor 1, heater control circuit. I replaced the sensor with Bosch 17099. Code was cleared.
Today the warning returned again. Autozone read the code for the same sensor but code P2298, "Sensor out of range during deceleration". Code was cleared.
If the code returns....what to do?
Advice would be appreciated.
Thanx,
Mikey

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had about 80k miles when mine started acting up. If I remember correctly there are 4 total sensors - two upstream and two downstream of the catalytic converters. I think they were Bosch, so you bought the brand that should be most compatible. I replaced all 4 with Bosch and haven't had any codes since.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,931 Posts
A few weeks ago I got the dash warning light, service engine soon...code P0050, oxygen sensor, bank 2, sensor 1, heater control circuit. I replaced the sensor with Bosch 17099. Code was cleared. Today the warning returned again. Autozone read the code for the same sensor but code P2298, "Sensor out of range during deceleration". Code was cleared.
Hi Mikey,

New Sensor connected to same wiring & connector and DME is saving a different code, but related to signal via same connector & wiring (pre-Cat O2 Sensor Connector on Bank 2).

Maybe just me, but I would do a test of voltage (Ignition ON) at pin #4 (Orange Wire) of Connector X62201 which is the Connector you disconnected/connected to replace that O2 Sensor per this TIS circuit diagram, and this TIS Connector View:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...onnectors/components/f-fuses/f38-fuse/vFbq6N3
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e93-328i-cab/CT6giy7l

While at it, check the fuse for the O2 Sensor Heaters, F38, which also serves the Breather Heater (has that been replaced in recall yet?).

If problems recur, you might visually check, or perhaps electrically test the other wires between that connector and the DME per this TIS Circuit Diagram:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...ystem/oxygen-sensor-emissions-control/vF5QqMj

Bentley Definitions of Those Two Codes:
P0050 | 2C9D | HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P2298 | 2C2E | O2 Sensor Signal Out Of Range During Decel (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Both Definitions include the possibility that a wiring or connector fault is causing the code, rather than a defective component (O2 Sensor).

I presume you do NOT have any exhaust spit or other indication of a leak at bank 2 exhaust manifold?

The first logical step in any SES light or DME code situation is to read & record code, as well as all Freeze Frame Data or other Details (which Generic P-code reader can do in this case) and then CLEAR Code(s) and see IF warning light & codes return. I would highly recommend a ~ $30 generic P-code reader, or if you have a laptop, perhaps a $15 to $45 K+DCAN cable & free INPA download. The latter requires some time to install & get to know it, so if you're really busy, or don't want to get that Geeky, a stand-alone or laptop-connected P-code Reader/Clearer & also Parameter Reader will perform most Engine/ DME functions nearly as well as INPA. It just won't give you any information about other Modules like Transmission, CAS, FRM, IHKA, or even DME Power Module (Battery/ Alternator/ IBS). However, it WILL work on any other vehicle sold in US after 1996.

Please let us know what you find,
George

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey George:

Your ongoing responses make me think that you are a BMW techno-genius! I feel like a rank amateur by comparison. I will do the least complicated checks of my O2 sensor issue. Beyond that, time to visit an Indy or (God forbid) the stealership.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Mikey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts