BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at this website:
http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/carchip.asp

This seems a pretty cool way to keep track of your cars usage/performance especially for anyone maintaining their own car.

I have a friend who has one and its almost like an aircraft 'black box' in that it can record multiple parameters which you can then download and import into Excel.

Doesn anyone have any experience with this product or something similar with any BMW?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks operknockity! I guess I need to learn to search the forum before posting.

But since that thread was from 2003, I guess I'll ask if anyone has tried anything like this recently (like on a E90)?

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Wurst said:
Thanks operknockity! I guess I need to learn to search the forum before posting.

But since that thread was from 2003, I guess I'll ask if anyone has tried anything like this recently (like on a E90)?
This one was rather obscure and I'm not sure why there hasn't been more discussion about these things.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Wurst said:
Take a look at this website:
http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/carchip.asp

This seems a pretty cool way to keep track of your cars usage/performance especially for anyone maintaining their own car.

I have a friend who has one and its almost like an aircraft 'black box' in that it can record multiple parameters which you can then download and import into Excel.

Doesn anyone have any experience with this product or something similar with any BMW?
"This product has been discontinued."

So why teasing??? :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the original CarChip has been discontinued but if you click around the web site you'll see, "
CarChipE/X®

Our original models of CarChip, which were downloaded using a serial-port cable, have been replaced by new models which are downloaded using a USB cable. The new CarChip models also support the CAN protocol, which is being phased in newer vehicles. CarChipE/X, serial-port version, has been replaced with CarChipE/X, USB version.
"

So newer models do exist.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I've got an AutoEnginuity ODB2 code reader.. It will log parameters too. Neat, works as advertised.. :)

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
The CAN ISO 11898 feature is very interesting. Although BMW has CANbus, I doubt CarChip can monitor the parameters, which probably explains why BMW isn't listed. BMW has proprietorship on the nodes and only one or two companies have bought the license from BMW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts