BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
sechscylinder said:
Where's the connector and what does it look like?
Under the hood, near the engine there is a round thing with a screw top. Unscrew it to reveal the "outlet" you plug into.

(Images from Ron Stygar's website.)

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The OBDII connector and its basic functions have been mandatory on all production cars sold in the US since 1996. It is NOT the roundy connector that BMW has traditionally used until recently, and must be in the passenger compartment, as one of the government requirements is that the connector not be more than 2ft away from the reach of the driver. I don't know if it was mandatory for existing car models to be completely redesigned in 96 to accomodate this so it might be possible that E36s for example require an adapter and cable that plugs into the roundy plug.

On a E46, the OBDII DLC is under a flip-open hatch under the dash above the footrest. In fact, starting with MY01, I believe, the old roundy plug has been completely replaced and BMW proprietary functions are also accessed through the OBDII DLC. This also eliminiates the need for the now-ubiquitous SI reset tool, as it no longer fits anywhere, and the reset procedure can be done with your ignition key and the odo reset button or something.

I've used Vehicle Explorer with it as well and although it doesn't have every function available through it like GMs and Fords, its enough to be useful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All that was said above is correct according to the guy at the comapny that sells the product I was looking at getting. The software accesses features through the OBDII connector under the drivers side dash. However, it is limited to only doing read functions, unlike the Vag-Com software (www.ross-tech.com), that I am currently using on my VW. It can change various settings also. Anybody know if this type of software is available for BMWs?:banghead:

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
VelvetFoot said:
My 2002 has an OBDC connector in the cabin. I've used obd-2 ( www.obd-2.com ) on a laptop to access engine codes and other parameters. Remember though you can't access other modules or adapt anything.
ODBC? Really? Is there a Jet connector as well? :p :lmao:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
sechscylinder said:
All that was said above is correct according to the guy at the comapny that sells the product I was looking at getting. The software accesses features through the OBDII connector under the drivers side dash. However, it is limited to only doing read functions, unlike the Vag-Com software (www.ross-tech.com), that I am currently using on my VW. It can change various settings also. Anybody know if this type of software is available for BMWs?:banghead:
AFAIK, the only thing I know of other than DIS and MoDIC that can access BMW-specific functions is the Assenmacher Retriever, which is something like $3k with the proper modules.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
webguy330i said:

Will I have to hook my car up to the Internet to start it each morning? :rolleyes:
No, but make sure you always have a CD with the latest service release and patches ready to go.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Kaz said:

No, but make sure you always have a CD with the latest service release and patches ready to go.
What's going to be the cost for a Software Assurance license for upgrades? And how long can I get it for? I plan on driving the rest of my life, so can I just let M$ own me for that long of a duration? That would really be the easiest solution.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
sechscylinder said:
HELLO!!!! This was ment to be a serious thread!
:thumbdwn: :banghead: :flipoff:
Since the post count won't go up on the off topic threads guess where the off topics go??? :lmao:

I just had to post on an Obdii thread. :angel:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts