BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cutter of animals
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well first of all, this is my first post on here. This past Saturday I picked up a relatively new 2007 328i coupe (saddle brown/black) with 11k miles while in LA. Now, this is my first BMW, so most of all my observations are completely new to me and most likely yawning material to most of you. Coming from exclusively driving Honda/Acura this was a big change. During my drive from LA back to Texas I had 1500 miles to get to know my new friend. These are some of the things I noticed and stood out in my mind in no particular order:

-The fit and finish is absolutely beautiful. Tremendous job making everything look just right. The car just feels solid.
-The engine in the 328i is no 335, but damn if it has some pickup. Off the line it can be somewhat slow, but once it's going it has very good breakaway ability.
-The iDrive is everything I've heard it to be, both good and bad. It's a complete pain in the ass initially (biggest learning curve of any technology I've had to deal with), but once you get used to it (say, around mile 700 or 800), it can be quite a useful machine.
-The navigation system is complete crap. Simple as that. Worst I've ever used. I guess I got spoiled by my Garmin.
-The sports seats are worth every penny. Very good support for the 1500 mile trip.
-I've read everyone complain about the stock stereo and went into this purchase expecting a stereo comparable to my old 89 civic. I must say, though, that I was pleasantly surprised. It really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Are some of you spoiled...?
-The brown saddle interior is amazing. Hard to find a car with it, but damn if it wasn't worth the wait. Maybe it's the Texan in me (or the baseball player), but the brown leather gives almost a sense of nostalgia mixed with class. Well done BMW.
-I absolutely love the ambient lighting. The first time I drove it at night the amber glow along the doors took my complete attention, then I realized I was on the freeway...
-Angle Eyes. Love them! Don't need to say any more about that.
-Bluetooth integration is very useful and the integration is very well designed and implemented. This made talking on the phone quite a bit while in LA very easy.
-Comfort access. Very cool toy. Convenient to use, but more of something to show off to your friends than anything else.
-The cup holders suck, but that's something I went into this purchase knowing. Although I did discover that a medium soda from Jack in the Box and a Vitamin water container fit perfectly (my coffee mug does not, however). My water bottle is not a perfect fit and thus kinda of leans forward at all times.
-Steering is classic BMW. Coming from driving an S2000 and RSX-S I am quite comfortable driving this car hard and I know that that is exactly what it wants.
-It's hard to keep black clean...
-People in El Paso drive slow
-There are about a thousand cops roaming Texas with no towns within 100 miles. Where do these people live? I got pulled over for going 84 in an 80 (admittedly
cruise was at 88, but the ol radar detector gave me half a second to cut off the cruise to allow it to wind down. Laser is hard to pick up). Who the hell pulls you over for going 4 over? I think he was just bored. Having an A&M cap in the drivers seat probably helped me out of that one, though...

I'm sure I'll think of some more a bit later. Gotta find some time to sit down and read through the manual.

2007 328i coupe
Saddle brown/Black
Sport, Premium, Comfort access

·
Registered
374 Posts
-The navigation system is complete crap. Simple as that. Worst I've ever used. I guess I got spoiled by my Garmin.
-
I couldn't say it better myself. BTW, congrats on the new car.

·
Cutter of animals
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Once I get it all cleaned up I'll get some good pics to put on here.
I must say, the drives around town have changed quite a bit now...

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,961 Posts
Congrats and welcome.

I have feeling the Texas DPS has less tolerance where the limit is 80mph. Can't say for sure though, 'cause I set my cruise at 84. I'm so pleased to go 84 without having to worry that I don't feel like pushing it. I've already got too many tickets. :(

·
Cutter of animals
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing I noticed during the long drive is that going 85 in this car literally feels like i'm crawling along. It's like the car is getting upset that it doesn't get to go faster.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
One thing I noticed during the long drive is that going 85 in this car literally feels like i'm crawling along. It's like the car is getting upset that it doesn't get to go faster.
So very true!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts