Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my car a month ago and it's totally stock. Is there anything obvious that I should do right away? Some cheap(ish) mod that's like "why the hell didn't BMW do this right from the factory?" kinda thing? ECU reprogramming? anything?

·
an audience of One
7,860 Posts
NoBull said:
So, I got my car a month ago and it's totally stock. Is there anything obvious that I should do right away? Some cheap(ish) mod that's like "why the hell didn't BMW do this right from the factory?" kinda thing? ECU reprogramming? anything?
Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) delete, if you car is a manual.

-Mark

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1Dreamer said:
This isn't a performance mod, but it's the first "why the hell didn't BMW do this right from the factory?" thing I did immediately after buying my car. Don't even think of using the stock cupholders.

http://www.tecaccessories.com/products/product.php?II=1&view=images
haha ya, I already broke and replaced the front one :rofl: I've seen that one you link, but in my typical CF fashion, I'm trying to find a better deal than $89. ;)

Mark, my car is a steptronic. I was wanting the 6 speed, but honestly, in DC/Baltimore traffic, I'm better off with the step. Still allows me to hold a gear through long sweeping corners. Then a copule of weeks ago I was on vacation in Europe and had a rental which of course was a stick. I was happy to be back in my steptronic when I got home :p

Can the ECU be programmed for more power? Gearbox for quicker shifts (it's not exactly lightning quick with the step)? Anything like that?

·
an audience of One
7,860 Posts
NoBull said:
Mark, my car is a steptronic. I was wanting the 6 speed, but honestly, in DC/Baltimore traffic, I'm better off with the step. Still allows me to hold a gear through long sweeping corners. Then a copule of weeks ago I was on vacation in Europe and had a rental which of course was a stick. I was happy to be back in my steptronic when I got home :p

Can the ECU be programmed for more power? Gearbox for quicker shifts (it's not exactly lightning quick with the step)? Anything like that?
Mine is a Step as well :)

Dinan sells engine and tranny software, but it's pricey. Some of the other chips/software are dodgy at best - one 'fester actually saw a 2hp loss after installing the PowerChip Gold. For whatever reason, there aren't any cheap performance mods for the M62 engine. There are a few cat-backs... can't think of anything else.

-Mark

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I would get to know your car for a while to figure out what is you might need. ;)

I still get a huge smile when I get on it and pass some kid in a rice burner :rofl:

I think they could have put a better stereo in with some bass :D

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
NoBull said:
haha ya, I already broke and replaced the front one :rofl: I've seen that one you link, but in my typical CF fashion, I'm trying to find a better deal than $89. ;)
You can now order them through Vaheh at Crevier BMW's Internet parts dept. for around $75. Still expensive for a cupholder, but worth it IMO and I think that's the best price you'll find unless you find a seller on ebay and want to take the risk. I just decided to think of it as one really expensive cup of coffee. :rofl: Don't contact their regular parts dept. though or they'll give you retail pricing. You have to go through Vaheh. You might check his pricing on any other BMW parts you want or need too. He's a great guy to work with and the pricing is competitive. I bought my UGDO opener from him for about $140 vs. $190 retail.

Here's the link and info.

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/partscounter/
Vaheh Bashikian
Crevier BMW/MINI
(714) 835-3171 ext. 393

·
Registered
920 Posts
SUPERCHARGE IT! The stock unmodified engine will easily handle 6-8 lbs of boost all day long, and it'll run with M5s with that.

They're in a good state of tune from the factory - and any power gains you get from the typical routes: intake/exhaust/software will only give you moderate incremental gains in power - and it'll cost you too $$$$. Unfortunately as we have OBDII, software updating isn't as cheap and simple as swapping in a different chip.

Bass-wise, I guess a lot of people suggest the bass link, but I'm a fan of modular systems with a separate amp and sub - that way you can always upgrade one part of it as you go on. I just installed my old 700w Alpine monoblock amp along with a 12" DVC subwoofer in a ported cabinet in my 540 - installation is a freakin breeze and now I can feel the bass pounded in my chest! Actually more cost-effective when you consider that you can get a similar setup for about $300 and you're running almost 3 times as much wattage as the highest end Basslink that pumps out 200w.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
NoBull said:
Axxis Brake pads, they'll cut down tremendously on the infamous "BMW brake dust problem." That is of course, unless you like to clean your rims every day. ;) Just my $0.02. Hope to his helps. Congrats on the new E39 540. :thumbup:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wwb4 said:
Axxis Brake pads, they'll cut down tremendously on the infamous "BMW brake dust problem." That is of course, unless you like to clean your rims every day. ;) Just my $0.02. Hope to his helps. Congrats on the new E39 540. :thumbup:
There's a good suggestion. My (front) wheels look like crap already. Have a link to these wonder-pads?

mgianetto said:
I would get to know your car for a while to figure out what is you might need.
Good suggestion too. I was just wondering if there was a chip out there that cost 300 and gave you 350hp it'd be worth it. It was kinda like that back in the day when I bought my new gen passat 1.8T.

Oh and my bass and treble settings doesn't look good either :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
The absolute best mod to increase the performance of the car is to take it and attend a performance track day. As it comes from the factory the car can outperform almost all drivers

BTW the second best mod is to do it again, then think about suspension, power etc.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
dbwill said:
The absolute best mod to increase the performance of the car is to take it and attend a performance track day. As it comes from the factory the car can outperform almost all drivers

BTW the second best mod is to do it again, then think about suspension, power etc.
Very, very true. I do that all the time on my bike, but have never been in a car. Don't think the steptronic is the best choice on the track though ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Obviously it is not for racing, but you can improve your ability to drive the car closer to its limits, and learn how it is going to react.

·
sdfrog177
44 Posts
Had this in a past thread kind of what your asking about with the 2000 540ia

Heres everything Ive done to this car parts + labor
2000 540ia
(2000 M5) factory wheels-1k
Pilot s2's-1k
Brembo rotors-250
Factory Pads-100
Dinan CAI-500
Dinan MAF-450
Dinan Front Strut Tower Brace-400
M5 Exhaust (Driver Side muffler Only with Resonator Removed) 200 parts-200 labor
Dinan engine Trans software-1500 (dealer install)
New Radiator-250
New WaterPump-100
New Fan Clutch-100
Angel Eye Conversion (xenon)-1500
m5 Rear lip spoiler-120
The only labor I paid was for the software and exhaust install. Everthing else I did myself, including any maintance that comes up IE oil changes.
I came up with a grand total not counting the price of the car to be around 7600.00
I have put over 30,000 trouble free miles on this car post mods and not 1 problem. It gets better mileage, sounds better,looks better and runs like a european v8 should.
Note-some parts where bought straight from the DEALER and some off ebay from private parties.
Hope this answers your How much question. These cars arent cheap to mod but if done right on the right car its worth it IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts