BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a bottle of octane booster would hurt the cars sensors or anything on the next fill up. I've got a 150,000 miles on my '99 528i and just had a bunch of work done to it. Will it help clean out the injectors?

·
Ouch
584 Posts

but to answer your question, read the bottle. If it says safe for catalytic converters and comes from a well-known-snake-oil-vendor such as Lucus or BG, then go for it.
..and no it won't help clean out injectors. You'd want some sort of fuel system treatment/cleaner for that. Not octane boost.

Do you understand how octane rating works and what it is? All octane does is pretty much prevent ping (pre-detonation). It's often advised you use the lowest octane you can without ping. Octane essentially just means how hard it is to fire the stuff. Diesel for instance, has an octane level of 40, it fires with compresson and heat, no spark. etc etc

the only thing I run octane boost in is my 1964 Buick Wildcat, tho. (it has a compression ratio of 10.5:1)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

While we're on this subject, can anyone speak of what BMW would use if you brought in your car to the dealer for say a fuel system cleaning? Do they even do that? I know Pep Boys and other chain-store-service dept's do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay thanks. I run 91 in it all the time and was just curious. I used octane boost in my older cars sometimes and noticed a difference but wasn't sure about any long term effects. I was just reading some post and it sounds like Techron is the way to go.

·
Ouch
584 Posts
okay thanks. I run 91 in it all the time and was just curious. I used octane boost in my older cars sometimes and noticed a difference but wasn't sure about any long term effects. I was just reading some post and it sounds like Techron is the way to go.
Techron is good stuff. I've used it. Been a while so I don't remember my results. Actually I think I used it on one of my girlfriend's cars so I probably didn't get a chance to notice the result. Recently I've Seafoam'd a few cars and that is kinda cool... although I dunno if I do it just for the smoke show or the performance gains. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQP51za9BmM&feature=related

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I used octane boost in my older cars sometimes and noticed a difference but wasn't sure about any long term effects.
If the engine doesn't knock, then there can't possibly be either short term nor long term 'effects' from boosting the octane rating even higher.

Details here:
- Engine fuel, i.e., gasoline & octane (1) & "The Gasoline FAQ" & top-tier gas stations (1)

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
If you use good-quality (91 or 93 octane) fuel, it contains all the additives you`ll need....no reason to add something else. If you can`t resist, a bottle of Techron once or twice a year will not hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
first time I used sea foam on my car when I bought it new it had huge effect...car ran much smoother and has ever since. I have used it yearly but don't really notice a difference when I use it anymore. it was only that first time there was a huge difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.