BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two years and 18,000 miles ago I replaced both belts on the engine as well as the Drive belt tensioner, idler pulley, and AC belt tensioner as the bearings were going bad and it just needed to be done. Fast-foward to about January of this year (6 months ago) and I started to notice some squealing and chirping coming from the belts at idle and especially at lower RPM 700-2000 range.

This week when I had time I took the belts off and spun the pulleys to try and find which one had gone bad assuming that I had just gotten a bad unit from the factory causing it to fail prematurely. I discovered that the bearings in the tensioner pulley had started to go bad and so I ordered two new belts and a tensioner pulley. Just the pulley as I converted to the hydraulic style tensioner when I replaced them last time.

I just put the new belts and tensioner pulley on today and while the belts are surely quieter I still have a little bit of a fast chirping, squeal when accelerating or coming to a stop at around 1000 RPM. I don't have any chirp at idle, and the raspy bad bearing noise is gone. I am just wondering what the cause of this noise that persists could be?

I checked the alternator, power steering, and water pump pulleys and they all seemed to be ok as far as bearing play goes. I payed careful attention to make sure I put the belt on properly and had it lined up as best I could.

The belts are the continental belts and the pulleys are INA which is what I understand to be the OEM parts.

The old drive belt I took off the car today had a weird wear pattern to it, so I am going to attach some pictures and see if anyone can tell anything from the wear pattern.

Finger Arm Hand Nail Wrist

Finger Hand Metal

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Finger Hand Audio equipment Nail Fashion accessory

Black Light Line Black-and-white Monochrome

Hand Finger Automotive exterior Strap Metal

·
Retired USAF MSgt
546 Posts
Question, did you have the belt ribs lined up correctly in the grooves on the pulley? I missed mine by one on my first attempt after I road tested it. I am not sure about the weird ware on the edge of the belt, almost looks like a friction heat and it's blistering. Donno...:dunno:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Question, did you have the belt ribs lined up correctly in the grooves on the pulley? I missed mine by one on my first attempt after I road tested it. I am not sure about the weird ware on the edge of the belt, almost looks like a friction heat and it's blistering. Donno...:dunno:
I payed special attention this time to make sure that the belt was on there properly. I guess the only thing I know to do from here is to just drive it and hope it doesn't get worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts